Best Coffee Maker for Fire Pit and Over Fire Camp Grill recommendations ????

CGAL

This is Me...
So I am lost, I am looking for a resonably priced coffee maker/perculator that we can use on an open fire pit.
I'd rather stainless...I don't drink much coffee so it doesn't have to be a large one, I'm just looking for a good one that will last and will take the heat from the fire. Making coffee on a fire is new to me so I'd love some tips. Also I've read alot of different reviews on over fire camp grills, can anyone recommend a brand or two ? I read alot of complaints about paint chips coming off. I am really nervous to buy one but we need one quick.
-Christine

Cappy

To me there is something nostalgic and romantic about the ole blue granite cowboy style percolator.

This one can be seen in most of the pictures of the out side of our camp site for over 25 years The bottom has chipped and is showing some rust and when it starts leaking it will be retired to a place of honor on the shelves in the living room.

Roybrew

Grandpa hit it on the nose. I got my stainless steel one at walmart also. I didn't want to spend big bucks for one of those at cabelas or bass pro. But the old enamel one that cappy mentioned works just as well. I think you can different color enamel ones to match you decor.

Grandpa

And we actually prefer cowboy coffee to perked. Full rich flavor. Just throw the coffee directly into the water and boil. After its boiled just add a little cold water to settle the grounds to the bottom of the pot.

MacGyver

Take it from a somewhat coffee snob - Skip the percolator and try a French Press. There is a bit of a learning curve with 'em, but once you get it down, you'll have the best coffee you've ever had. Percolators expose the grounds to higher temperatures than other brewing methods and recirculate already brewed coffee through the beans. That leaves you with over extracted beans. Drip makers filter out the essential oils that stay with pressed coffee - the oils that add a little something like you've never tasted. Another plus for you, considering you don't need anything large, there are presses for everything from a single cup to full carafe size. There are plenty of sites online that give you the basics for one. On top of that, if you really want to go full-tilt, get a burr grinder and grind your own beans. Fresh and pressed? Coffee Valhalla!

Cappy

I have 4 matching coffee cups and 4 plates the cups get too hot so we dont sue or recomend them they look good in western movies but das about it. We use the plates alot and use cheap paper plates in them. works great looks nice and no clean up.

Roybrew

I bought a couple of the blue enamel coffee cups a couple of years ago, and woo boy you should have seen my brother dance when I poured some hot coffee in his cup. They work great if you are wearing gloves. Ha.

Thanks McGyver, I never realy understood why the coffee was better till you explained it. I have one of those 15 oz coffee press. I realy like it and yes it makes a great full body coffee. I grind my coffee at the store on the espresso grind. Loaded and I love it.

Grandpa

I carried an enameled cup for my water boiling. I also carried a multi tool to deal with the heat. Then grandma got me a nice nestled 2 cup with lid set that weighed led than the enamel cup. Haven't had to use the multi tool on the new set.

Roybrew

I couldn't stand it. Got my coffee press out of my camping stuff and just made some excellent mud.
Oh I love it. Maybe to much caffeine. Going to work.

Hey CGal, one good thing about a perk coffee maker is that you can also use it just for hot water for instant oatmeal, cocoa and stuff like that. Don't try to make something like spicy red beans and rice in it tho. Or next morning your coffee going to taste a little....... off.

jason

fear no beer
Take it from a somewhat coffee snob - Skip the percolator and try a French Press. There is a bit of a learning curve with 'em, but once you get it down, you'll have the best coffee you've ever had. Percolators expose the grounds to higher temperatures than other brewing methods and recirculate already brewed coffee through the beans. That leaves you with over extracted beans. Drip makers filter out the essential oils that stay with pressed coffee - the oils that add a little something like you've never tasted. Another plus for you, considering you don't need anything large, there are presses for everything from a single cup to full carafe size. There are plenty of sites online that give you the basics for one. On top of that, if you really want to go full-tilt, get a burr grinder and grind your own beans. Fresh and pressed? Coffee Valhalla!
You ever try roasting your own beans? I hear that once you roast the bean it really only stays truly fresh for 7 days or so. Usually 24 hours after roasting is the best. But I've been watching way too many youtube video's on it and it could just be a trend I never heard of before.

MacGyver

You ever try roasting your own beans? I hear that once you roast the bean it really only stays truly fresh for 7 days or so. Usually 24 hours after roasting is the best. But I've been watching way too many youtube video's on it and it could just be a trend I never heard of before.
No, I haven't. But, as much as I love a good cuppa joe, I doubt I'll ever get into it that deep. Unlike Cappy and Peg, I hate being in the kitchen or tending to food preparation in general. :)

Cappy

Sadly our beloved blue granite pot hadda be retired now it will finish its days as a flower pot on the patio. We shopped for a replacement but the new ones are very cheaply made with thin aluminum guts. We decided to up grade to a Cabela's Stainless heavy duty pot with a life time guarantee kinda ie the craftsman tool of coffee makers. It just so happens we are field testing it this month and so far it is a keeper it even has the lil glass bubble that the blue ones lacked

Lazy J

You can't beat the blue granite pot, but for something completely impractical that makes great coffee over the campfire you can't beat the Atomic. It's an Italian stainless steel espresso maker, designed for the stove top so it works perfectly on the fire. I've taken it on a few trips but only when there is a short hike, it's a bit heavy for a long trek!

Roybrew

Holy cow! Those things are high cotton. I bet they do make an excellent cup of mud. I just watched a video on them, and I could feel the hairs on my arms crawling.

ppine

Forester
Why is that everytime some one asks a question I like the answers by Cappy and Grandpa? I made coffee in an old grey granite coffee pot with no guts for 25 years in my kitchen. I still make it that way when outside.

ppine

Forester
At the ranch house there used to be a very large grey granite coffee pot with a German silver lid. It would sit on the back burner every morning. It was common to throw in some egg shells to neutralize the acid of cheap coffee. Often it would accumulate a couple of days of grounds before being cleaned out. Context is everything, because that was some of the best coffee I can remember in my life. Saddling up at 4 in the dark to go on a cow hunt with some great men, great horses and great dogs. They are all gone now.

Arla

Food for thought: Coffee beans in a can is WAY heavier than tea bags. I know people love their coffee but personally, I'm more of a tea drinker. If you need the caffeine, most teas are caffeinated too!
(you don't need the tea pot you can you something use already have for camping)