Found a free tents only campground florida

ppine

Forester
I would like to make some observations about the US Forest Service and the Nat Park Service. Their funding is likely to continue to decline in the future unless we charge people more for park entry and campgrounds. The wilderness system continues to expand in the West. Nevada was passed over the first few times in Congress, but now we get new areas all the time that we used to be able gain road access to hunt and camp, but now the roads are closed. Many old, small campgrounds are closing due to lack of funding.

Americans are changing over to RVs and tent camping is actually declining in most places. The FS and NPS have been slow to expand the size of their campsites to accomodate even 20 foot trailers. It is not that expensive to expand the size of the pads. Sometimes roads need to be widened or trees need to be taken out which costs money.

The point to be made here is, that all of these things cost money. Do not be offended if the cost of using these facilities continues to go up. The days of 5 or 8 dollar FS campsites are probably over except for the ones with no maintenance. Some are not cost effective to keep in operation.

NanaSue

I went scouting for a free campground this past weekend about 80 miles north of me and 4 miles east of lake Okeechobee and got this cool picture of the sunset looking over the Lake.

The free campground is at DePuis management area which allows hunting in season and has fishing, hiking, esquestrian campground, primative campsites, so much more.. The family campground has 16 sites which are free with picnic table and fire ring and composte toilets, esquestrian campgrounds has showers and bathrooms. This place just asks for a donation when you leave.

Im heading up this weekend to camp and do some fishing. I will post some pictures when i get back. Enjoy the sunset..
Where is this campground located please ? Heading to Florida in June and we will be camping for about 2 to 3 weeks ☺

jason

fear no beer
Where is this campground located please ? Heading to Florida in June and we will be camping for about 2 to 3 weeks ☺
I believe the site he is talking about is located at:

23500 SW Kanner Highway
Indiantown, Florida

Biggest towns near it would be West Palm Beach, or Okeechobee.

NanaSue

I believe the site he is talking about is located at:

23500 SW Kanner Highway
Indiantown, Florida

Biggest towns near it would be West Palm Beach, or Okeechobee.
Thank you Jason ! We are excited about checking it out in June . Do you know if we need to reserve a site ?

NanaSue

I just got back from camping there monday and tuesday and i was real surprized how well maintained this place was. I will be posting pics tomorrow.

The campgrounds were clean and the campers were friendly and quiet also, every camper was in their tent by 9 pm and all you could hear was the coyotes. Had to be about 5 campsites taken. the compost toilets were cleaned daily and they even had running water that was filtered through a well.

Im going back for a few days of hiking the following weekend. This is a must see campground. And the best part its free.. here is a view of my tent from the lake. I will post more pics tomorrow.
Beautiful site . Thank you for sharing the pictures !

NanaSue

Does
I just got back from camping there monday and tuesday and i was real surprized how well maintained this place was. I will be posting pics tomorrow.

The campgrounds were clean and the campers were friendly and quiet also, every camper was in their tent by 9 pm and all you could hear was the coyotes. Had to be about 5 campsites taken. the compost toilets were cleaned daily and they even had running water that was filtered through a well.

Im going back for a few days of hiking the following weekend. This is a must see campground. And the best part its free.. here is a view of my tent from the lake. I will post more pics tomorrow.

Does anyone know if there is a stay limit at this campground ?