A Few Reviews

Roybrew

Let's see, I'll start at the beginning. Rip stop nylon, yes you heard me right. I purchased a few yards of this nylon for future projects, not really what I used it for on this trip, but it was an idea [emoji362]. Before we put the rain fly on the tent, we put the nylon over the top to cover some of the mosquito netting, venting mesh that most of the tent roof is made of. Sort of clipped it to the tent poles and places like that to hold it in place and then put the rain fly on. We didn't cover it completely because it wasn't wide enough and we needed some ventilation to reduce condensation and stuff like that, but it did cut down on how drafty the tent was and the heater warmed it better in the morning when we got up to get dressed.IMG_20211103_171452379~2.jpg the rain fly was light grey, so the red nylon can be seen in the day light.

My little lux pro 1512 rechargeable lantern. It can run on 3 C batteries also, and can be used as a power bank to charge small devices. IMG_20211108_172932621~2.jpg We used a garbage bag wire tie to attach it the the ring of the center of the inside of tent. Other than getting up to turn it on and off, it was a great light. Be better with a clap on clap off feature [emoji3526].

My rarely used down bootiesIMG_20211108_173105978~2.jpg aw these things were fabulous. I pretty much sleep in my whitey titeys, so when I had to get up in the middle of the night, I would slip on my down booties, and my feet stayed very warm while I was outside freezing my posterior off while relieving my self. Um yep enough of that. Let's move on.

My thermarest pillow IMG_20211108_173202132~2.jpg not sure about it. It feels clumpy. It slept ok and was plenty warm. I'm still pondering on it. Maybe after a few more trips I'll decide weather if it's worth it or not.

My Field and Stream 0 degree sleeping bag. I came loaded for bear.Screenshot_20211111-181840~2.jpg photo shopped. Any how, this thing is a bit on the big and clunky side, but I love it. Plenty of room to move around. I didn't need a 0 degree bag, but I had no regrets taking it. The only problem I had was the big opening around my shoulders. I threw my down quilt over my head and the end of bag, the pulled center down under my chin. Slept warm and comfy.

card_xlarge.jpg Definitely! Even when it's cold and you don't think your sweating, guess what? You are still perspiring. I ain't going to be jumping in freezing cold water to bath. Forget that.

That's my little equipment review for now. I hope it helps someone in some small way.
Roy

Northern Dancer

LOOKIN GOOD! Excellent stuff Roybrew. It always fascinates me in learning from amateur campers who are really the professionals in the real world. Some clever ideas and suggestions were made. I still use what I call a rug for the floor. It's comfortable on my feet in the morn when I crawl out of the sleeping bag to get ready for the day's events. Sometimes I use a real rug, or my cowhide, or a throw. As well as being comfortable on the feet it protects the floor from being damaged by my cot and it also keeps it clean.

I know you are in a warmer part of the woods - but come late fall and winter - my standard sleeping bag is rated at - 4 degrees Fahrenheit without the insert.

3168 3169

Roybrew

Ooh -4! That's pretty cold. I'd bet it's really relaxing and tranquil when it's cold like that, and of course snow everywhere. I'd want to have a tent with see thru windows.

Glad you liked the reviews. Fun to do and it makes me think of, and appreciate, what I have. I figured on taking stuff to stay warm at night.

Simple things can make your trip more enjoyable.

Northern Dancer

...and speaking of snow. We got our first dusting today. A sure sign of things to come.

It is tranquil until you have to get up and get going. Putting on the day's socks is not too bad - but when you slide into your pants and put on your coat you get that instant cold until the body is able to warm up the inside. Then if it's really cold you get that fire burning as quick as you can and get the coffee percolating.

Roybrew

heater sure made it easier to get up and get dressed when it was cold. I could feel the draft of cold air coming in from below the nylon material we draped over the netting. Once I am dressed, I am good to go. I think one thing that added to a warm night's sleep was the insulated pad and wool blanket that covered my cot. I remember a time when my nephew and I camped once, and it was 25F out. Wind blew all night. I had my little electric drip coffee maker in the tent. We had power outlet at camp site, so I had my extension cord ran in the tent. That was fabulous! I love the smell of coffee brewing. I can't imagine having a wood stove in a tent.