A little R&R with Grandma

Grandpa

For you non boy scout leaders, Powderhorn is a week long course teaching advanced High Adventure skills to scout leaders and older scouts. Our council holds this training in a beautiful camp in an area called Island Park, Idaho. This "park" is a huge pine covered plateau adjacent to Yellowstone National Park. The Henrys Fork of the Snake River disects this area and is considered a world class fly fishing river.

Since I was asked to be a consultant at the powderhorn course, I thought it would be good to pack up the gear and Grandma and I could escape the kids and grandkids for a week and camp along the beautiful Henrys Fork. I could drive the few miles to the scout camp on the days I would be teaching a course. Grandma could hone her fly fishing skills and together we could eat some good dutch oven cooking. We really did have a great time despite some torrential downpours. One off day we took a trip around Yellowstone, stopping at some of those lesser known places we normally drive right by.

On the last day, we took the long way home. Driving through Yellowstone again, we took the south gate out and took the byways through Teton National Park. From Jackson, we crossed Teton Pass, then again took the backroads along beautiful Palisades Reservoir and over Tincup pass into Soda Springs. All in all a beautiful, relaxing time. Saw a few elk, lots of bison, one griz, a lot of pronghorns and even a few fish. Now its back to the salt mines for a few weeks with some great memories to keep us going until the next adventure.

ppine

Forester
Grandpa,
I used to work on some mines over by Soda Springs. That country consistently has more deer and elk than any place I have ever been.

Grandpa

Our September activity with the scouts will be just north of Soda. Fishing on the blackfoot river and making emergency shelters. SM has a ranch on the river and needs some willows thinned out.