Against All Wolves

Northern Dancer

Wolves, for me, are majestic animals, that I've always respected and admired. I can appreciate the various debates about the issue of wolves - but, really, is there any sense to this?

Endangered Wolf Killed in Arizona, Officials Offer $12K Reward for Tips
In early January, officials confirmed that an endangered Mexican gray wolf was found dead in Northern Arizona.
Later, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issued a reward for tips leading to an arrest as it investigates the case.

ppine

Forester
Wolves are smart, social animals worthy of our respect. They are apex predators that serve a useful function in all ecosystems where they are native. Unfortunately they adept killers and have trouble near where people and livestock live. They are fine in remote country but create problems near humans.

My grandfather shot wolves for bounty in Montana around 1910. Hunting them is not a new idea.

The Endangered Species Act was never intended to protect animal species in perpetuity. We want populations to recover so they can be managed. Then killing one in an emergency is not a Federal offense. The grizzly bear in the northern Rockies has met the criteria for delisting by the US Fish and Wildlife Service for at least the last 12 years. It remains listed as a threatened species under ESA.

Roybrew

They have grey wolves here at a local park. Big fenced in wooded area. They are pretty creatures. A large tree fell across the fence during a storm. Most the wolves were recovered and returned, except one. They found the missing wolf at some elderly ladies house 2 weeks later. She was feeding it at her home. I never heard if she had it in the house. Big ole puppy dog. I think I mentioned this before. Oh well, good story.

We have coyotes here now. People talk about hunting them, and how their dangerous and all that stuff. I don't know if they are dangerous to people or not. A friend has beef cattle, and said there were some coyotes spotted near his pastures. Said the cows would stay alert all the time, and wouldn't put on weight. He never said what happened with the Coyotes. I don't know of any reported case of someone being attacked by Coyotes. Wife knows someone that has one for a pet. They didn't know it was a coyote puppy. When it got older they figured it out. Now they don't know how to feel about it, or if they should worry about it?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Northern Dancer

Coyotes are very much different. I know for example - they will hunt alone OR in pairs, dogs run with the tails up, but coyotes run with them down, their life expectancy is 20 years, they are good swimmers and will eat just about anything and run 40 miles an hour. But I would feel safer with wolves than coyotes.

3314 No...I don't trust them.

In 2021, the city received over 3,600 reports about coyote sightings in Toronto. The city says most coyote interactions are the result of people intentionally leaving food outdoors. Feeding coyotes, however, is against city bylaws and could result in a $365 fine.

ppine

Forester
Lots of folklore around canines in the wild.
In Nevada we have a lifetime supply of coyotes. I have seen 4 walking to get the mail. I can hear three different packs at times sleeping in the backyard. I walk behind the house and keep an eye out for them because I always bring dogs along.

Coyotes are a threat to sheep, goats and calves. This is livestock country. People use Great Pyrenees and other large dogs or donkeys to protect from coyotes. They hunt in packs and family groups. I have seen coyotes trying to take calves in broad daylight while I was waiting for a stoplight. Coyotes pose little threat to humans. I have been sleeping in the open with my dog several times, when large loud packs of coyotes have made their way close to our location. My dog is on alert and I usually have a pistol around somewhere, but they always get whiff of us and change direction.

Wolves are a whole different story. They are large efficient predators and very skilled killers. They are very smart and wary and worthy of our respect. They do not do well near humans. They do not harass humans much but they can scare the crap out of people. I have met some hunting guides that have climbed trees to escape wolf packs. They can kill 25 sheep or more in a night.

Serious problems with coyotes occur around the edges of urban areas, when coyotes figure out the garbage schedule, learn to prey on cats and small domestic dogs and worst of all get fed by people. I was at an outdoor restaurant in California once one night and I was in disbelief as people fed coyotes from their tables.

Northern Dancer

You are right on of course. I think the alarming thing is that coyotes are increasing extensively. Territories have included populated areas and as you mention, people are feeding them. Not a good idea to feed wildlife.