Air Beds

Chris

Has anyone used one of those air beds that expand into a normal sized twin bed which is about thigh high when it is fully inflated? I would like to get something like this to put in the camper for when one too many of the grandkids come with us on a trip. It would also be handy to have a couple to place out in the pop up tent if we wanted to sleep outside. I was just wondering if they actually worked like they say they do and if they are worth the money.

2coastcamper

I slept in one of those at my in-law's house during a family vacation. I mean, they're not great, but they're better than sleeping on the floor. You might want to think about a camping pad, such as a terma-rest, too. Especially if you're going to be using it in a tent. They're just as comfortable and they store in a much smaller package.

atula

I agree...it is better than sleeping on the floor...nowadays their are so many choices with air bed...those that take the shape of your body and all..I think they will be quite comfortable for your grandkids.

justontime

We have one but I don't like it, it's too 'wobbly' and i don't feel safe on it. I prefer the canvas camp beds with a metal frame, they are much more comfortable.

2coastcamper

We have one but I don't like it, it's too 'wobbly' and i don't feel safe on it. I prefer the canvas camp beds with a metal frame, they are much more comfortable.
Ah, the old school cot ... I love those too. Quite sturdy, and are good to sleeping out under the stars too, especially when you don't want the creepy-crawlies to visit you in your sleeping bag at night.

Taggart

My in-laws have one of those, but I've never slept on it. It looked like a normal sized mattress when it was inflated, and took surprisingly little space when it was deflated. I'm not sure how much it cost.

If the grandkids are fairly young, do you think they'd like sleeping on the traditional air mattresses instead?

Guy

We bought our air mattress from Target. I would recommend getting one of the higher end ones. We have tried both and ended up taking the cheaper one back and getting the more expensive one. We found the more expensive one to be pretty comfortable.

southerngal

You are right guy this is not really one of those purchases you can skimp on. The higher end ones are at least a little more comfortable...and you can't really put a price on a good night's rest.

Woodzie

We purchased the big queen mattress this year. We gave the kids our old queen air mattress. When we are laying on the bigger mattress--we feel bad for the kids because it seems like they are laying on the ground now (on our old mattress). We are going to be buying the kids their own now. We all think they are so comfortable. They are worth the price you pay, in my opinion anyway.

Newanderthal

inflatable mattresses have two MAJOR drawbacks. 1: they ALWAYS end up leaking and within a year or so you'll have to trash it. 2: they will hurt your back.

As mentioned above, the ideal thing would be to purchase an inflatable sleeping PAD. Thermarest pads are great, they offer more support, more comfort, they're more durable and they roll up smaller.

2beoutdoors

Yes I have slept on one of these. Not camping, but my parents bought one for their house. It's a quick set one. It was so comfortable, way better than a plain air mattress. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

I thought about picking one up for my house too. So my kids can use it when they have friends over.