Anyone into christmas tree cutting

freedommachine

Anyone else out there into going into the mountains and cutting a christmas tree? I am not talking about a tree farm just finding a nice tree in the forest and cutting it down. Me and my wife went today and had a blast. It was snowing pretty hard so we had to shake off the tree to see what they looked like. In the pic below there is our tree straped to the roof of our Jeep and ready for home. It is a once a year thing we just love to do. We love it so much we always have our tree shortly after Nov. 1st. We got ourselfs a nice 8 foot white fir, our favorite. Any one else into this?

Last edited:

Grandpa

We get our forest permits and go the Saturday after Thanksgiving. 4x4's if we can and snow machines if we have to. Grandma usually has a big pot of chili and a big pot of soup waiting for the end of the day. I have 4 married kids so we get 5 trees, picked out by the grandkids during the summer when access is much easier.

In the spring we also have a tree planting day when all the families get together and we plant 4-500 new seedlings.

freedommachine

Thats a pretty good idea about looking for a tree and picking one out the summer before. I will have to try that for next year. But half my problem is that I like going somwhere new every year. Where I was planning on going I changed my mind and went somwhere I had not cut christmas trees before.Every year my Wife and I always go somewhere different. But I think I will go to the same area next year so I can plan it out maybe.

rockytibby

We get our permit for a tree around Nov. 1, because we like to have our tree up before Thanksgiving. It is so fun taking the dogs and playing in the snow while looking for that perfect tree. I love the idea of planting seedlings in the spring, so I'm going to check into that for next year.

huntergal

That looks so awesome! We don't have anywhere you can go and do that sort of thing in New Jersey...we have to go to a tree farm. When I lived in Vermont we went out in the woods and got our tree. It was one of those cherished childhood memories that I have!

Lamebeaver

We've done this for 15 years now. A permit from the forest service costs $10. We also scount ahead of time, but always end up cutting a different tree than we picked.

It's one of our favorite family traditions.

CozInCowtown

Now that is cool!!
All we have is mountain cedars and mesquite here so it is a trip into town for a pine of some sort from the "tree farm".
DC

T

tentrus

Always, we walk around for over an hour to pick the perfect tree for us. Then we all help with cutting it down. Usually the tree we pick is in the back of the forest and we have to drag it out.

Judy Ann

Anyone else out there into going into the mountains and cutting a christmas tree? I am not talking about a tree farm just finding a nice tree in the forest and cutting it down. Me and my wife went today and had a blast. It was snowing pretty hard so we had to shake off the tree to see what they looked like. In the pic below there is our tree straped to the roof of our Jeep and ready for home. It is a once a year thing we just love to do. We love it so much we always have our tree shortly after Nov. 1st. We got ourselfs a nice 8 foot white fir, our favorite. Any one else into this?
Great picture! I'd be looking for a tree too if we had some snow in these parts.

freedommachine

I love going out in the snow for tree cutting. Does anyone else have any pics of tree cutting or plan on getting any this year. I would love to see some and I am sure others would to. I do feel lucky to live in an area where I can cut a christmas tree. I feel bad for people who do not live in an area that has places to cut christmas trees. It really is a fun family tradition. Me and my wife and two dogs load up our jeep with hot chocolate and warm clothes and head out for fun.

briansnat

Platnium Member
That looks so awesome! We don't have anywhere you can go and do that sort of thing in New Jersey...we have to go to a tree farm. When I lived in Vermont we went out in the woods and got our tree. It was one of those cherished childhood memories that I have!
You can do it in New Jersey, just not legally.

Pathfinder1

Cutting trees...

I usually don't trek very far,
when all around me swinging axes are.

Hi...

Ah, yes. Many was the time a good friend and myself went into the woods and cut Christmas trees to bring home to our parents.

Unfortunately, I've recently read about Christmas tree cutters in California suddenly becoming stuck in unexpected snow drifts (drove right into them) and ended up spending a night or two before they could extricate themselves from their prediciment.

In fact, one family did this TWICE in two successive years...!!

I'm mentioning this so it...hopefully...won't happen to you. They too, had 4-wheel drive vehicles, but no emergency gear.

Wishing you the best for the upcoming holidays.

JimBob

I would love to go cut down our own Christmas tree, but unfortunately I don't think there are many patches of pine tree where I live. I'd love to experience it like you do with all that snow. That to me is some real Christmas atmosphere.

ppine

Forester
Xmas trees are grown commercially as a crop just like corn or soybeans. They are a renewable crop. It does people good to go out and get one and bring a real, aromatic tree into the house.

North central Florida has miles and miles of southern pine forest.

Last edited:

Susie

I don't generally go for artificial anything, but my Christmas tree is the exception. Those trees do us all a lot more good alive than dead.