Assateague Island?

katharina

Okay, nature lovers, anyone else here been to Assateague Island National Seashore either camping or hiking?

It's near Ocean City, Maryland, if it's not familiar and it's where the wild ponies roam and swim to from Chincoteague annually. Assateague is beautiful with all kinds of wildlife and many campsites.

It's a definite plus that it's so close to the ocean!

greengrass

I haven't been to Assateague in many years. I think the last time I went was when I was in high school and we went across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, which is awesome too if you've never been. I'm glad you brought this up because I think my kids would love Assateague.

katharina

I haven't been to Assateague in many years. I think the last time I went was when I was in high school and we went across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, which is awesome too if you've never been. I'm glad you brought this up because I think my kids would love Assateague.
I'm sure they'd love it, yes! The only problem we ever ran into was sometimes the wild horses were abundant and other times they were in hiding and no matter how long we drove around, they didn't come out. And since it's an island, you *know* they're there in the trees somewhere...

Actually it's kind of spooky knowing they're watching but not showing themselves. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable camping there because of all that wildlife running free, but it seems to be a very popular camping area for people who may not mind a horse head sticking in the tent flap for a wakeup call. hehe

Hikker_Jim

Sounds like a beautiful place, but since I'm in Australia it's a bit far for me to go! It's a shame the world is so big and for most of us, basically never see any of it other than our own little bit of it where we live. Funny hay?

katharina

I think the last time I went was when I was in high school and we went across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, which is awesome too if you've never been.
I've been through the tunnel bridge, yes... it was a number of years ago and I was just a "little nervous" then but I'm afraid I'd totally freak out now. Doesn't seem the kind of thing I'd like now.