Battery Powered v Solar Powered Gear

GA_gal

We're trying to amass some camping gear slowly but surely. What are your thoughts on battery powered and solar powered gear? Is one better than the other?

Barney

One thing is certain. Quality solar gear is very expensive. Anything affordable to a normal person is not worth the trouble, in my opinion. Solar does sound better though. :)

Cappy

What most folks don't realize is all that cute solar powered geer has to be full of rechargeable batteries as well as solar arrays or it wont work all the time so now ya lugging both systems with ya.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Most of the little solar chargers have batteries in them. Or they should. For example - cell phones don't like varying voltages when charging. The solar thing charges its own battery and then it will charge the other stuff (even in the dark). Depending on where you are, it may or may not work well. If youre stationary on the beach in the summer, it might be good. Under tree cover? Not so much. Backpacking? Even worse, because you are constantly moving and it's hard to face the thing into the sun.
If you are going for 2-5 days it might just be easier to take a battery pack. They come in all sizes and don't require the sun. Personally I just have a gps to run. The phone stays off except at night when I might listen to music to put me to sleep. I can get three days or more off a phone that way. I have a point and shoot camera with a great lithium battery. It will go for a week depending on use. A spare battery is the size and weight of two sd cards (stacked).

Refrigerator

What most folks don't realize is all that cute solar powered geer has to be full of rechargeable batteries as well as solar arrays or it wont work all the time so now ya lugging both systems with ya.
I use High quality Solar Array and is well worth it if you in for the long haul. Weekenders are always good with Batteries. I have seen many of the newer solar energizers on the market as well in the field. I like my Brunton solar array 12 volt system when I am trekking more than 7 day or pending what the setting is like a Base camp or in Alaska and I need to install a Bear Fence solar charged and yes this has batteries too. Most of my time out in the bush I use batteries and bring along a couple extras and I like any gear using AA, and easy to recharge.

Newanderthal

really, what gear do you need that uses electricity while camping?
A good flashlight is all you need. Get an LED headlamp and you'll only change batteries about once every two years.

The radio, phone chargers, lanterns, fans, etc can all stay at home. Charge your phone and camera battery before leaving the house.

Too many people believe they have to bring every electronic device from home in order to enjoy nature. Quite the opposite is true. Hauling around all that crap is the easiest way to miss out on the joys of camping.

Pathfinder1

really, what gear do you need that uses electricity while camping?
A good flashlight is all you need. Get an LED headlamp and you'll only change batteries about once every two years.

The radio, phone chargers, lanterns, fans, etc can all stay at home. Charge your phone and camera battery before leaving the house.

Too many people believe they have to bring every electronic device from home in order to enjoy nature. Quite the opposite is true. Hauling around all that crap is the easiest way to miss out on the joys of camping.

Hi...

Kinda like we did in the pre-electronic age, eh...?? :tinysmile_hmm_t:

Today, those items are a prequisite to life itself. We have to stay "connected", even when afield. Take away a kid's iPod, and they're completely disconnected from life (at least life as they know it).

ppine

Forester
I agree with New. Camping should not be a streamlined version of being at home. LED light batteries can last a year or more. Charge your cell phone before you go and hide it. Problem solved.

Grandpa

As Chief Seattle once said, "leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but memories." But at my age, I need a camera to help with the memories, a flashlight for my midnight nature walk, and a SPOT so grandma can have quick closure with the insurance company if I don't come home. Don't want to be littering up the wilderness with my dead carcass. Those three items should constitute the luxery end of the electronic gadgetry.

ppine

Forester
Yesterday afternoon it was cloudy with possible thunderstorms. I looked up and saw at least 30 vultures circling out behind the house. Not a good omen.

If you want to keep track of the weather on an outdoors trip, just look around. You can see problems coming. In the West, the weather stations are far apart and do not predict the weather in the mountains very well.

Last edited:

Reed

The only camping gear I take that needs batteries is a radio. I think that's a pretty important piece of equipment to keep up to date with the weather, especially if you're out for a week or so.

JimW67

I use both solar and battery power like I think most people do these days. I recently purchased an "Escape 30 Watt Briefcase Portable Solar", and it is extremely simple to use and carry around. I am not the most mechanical guy out there, so this product has been nice.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I remember when camping was a delight and the only piece of electrical equipment that you brought was a flashlight. Thank you, Newanderthal, for pointing that out again. I tried to increase your reputation for that comment but the site informed me I could not do it until I spread the reputation touting out a bit. The problem with this is that, like most political systems, those who do not deserve a better reputational stance are deemed underprivileged and deserving of recognition for doing nothing so they will have a better self-image.

This site is apparently subject to this travesty of modern political correctness and, as such, must punish those who excel. How dare you be better than your compatriots? Once again productivity is punished. I hope you are finished with your good deeds for the day. The rack is waiting.

Stargazer

Hi...

Kinda like we did in the pre-electronic age, eh...?? :tinysmile_hmm_t:

Today, those items are a prequisite to life itself. We have to stay "connected", even when afield. Take away a kid's iPod, and they're completely disconnected from life (at least life as they know it).
And that is why when we are camping everything is left at home, except for one cell phone, in case of an emergency. I want them to experience life as they have never known it.