Best Survival Manual?

Johnny

I've read a lot of books on this topic and most of them are just a rehash of popular topics that can be found anywhere online and in survival schools. Do you have a favorite book that stands out in this field?

outdoorchick

I like the SAS handbooks myself. I believe you can download those online as well. When it comes to my survival info though I prefer to have a hard copy.

oldsarge

I like the SAS handbooks myself. I believe you can download those online as well. When it comes to my survival info though I prefer to have a hard copy.
I agree, if someone were to purchase only one book, this would be my choice. There is a lot of great info out there and this book does a fairly good job of putting out a good basic knowledge of survival. Of course, situation dictates and some times even the most info packed book can come up short.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I have the US Army survival manual and How To Stay Alive in the Woods.Both have a lot of good information, but I wouldn't say either is perfect.

3ofusnow

I love the SAS handbook. I just recently purchased the SAS Urban survival handbook, along with Patriots and One second after. Plenty to keep me busy for my summer reading!

oldsarge

The Fox Fire series of books has a ton of info. I haven't seen these in a while. I had a buddy who had a complete set of them years ago. Wonder what he did with them. I'd like to pick up a set. These books are more for the homesteader than a basic survival book.

whitewater

I have looked through the book 98.6 degrees: the art of keeping your a$$ alive. I haven't read the whole thing but it seems interesting and doesn't just reformat the same material that is in SAS handbook.

oldsarge

I have looked through the book 98.6 degrees: the art of keeping your a$$ alive. I haven't read the whole thing but it seems interesting and doesn't just reformat the same material that is in SAS handbook.
I own this book and highly recommend it. It brings to light another aspect of survival geared more towards the day hiker or casual hiker who is not prepared for a long haul in the woods. Book makes great points in planning and prep for the first 72 hours after becomming lost or hurt in the woods. Definely a nice change from the usual survival info.

wvbreamfisherman

The Foxfire books 1-7 (I think) are available online from scribd. I downloaded them a while back. Some of the articles are tough going, but there is a wealth of information in them.

twilight

I don't currently have any survival books. Yet, the subject of survival as it relates to disaster planning is very interesting to me. If you were to prioritize a book that deals that topic, what would it be?