Bigger is better?

Hikker_Jim

I believe when it comes to buying any equipment bigger isn't always better. I have a small tent just enough for me and my wife to fit in. I think what's the point of having this huge tent for show when they take too long to put up and are just a waist of money.

Taggart

I think the smaller tent would probably be much easier to carry.

I'd say the same theory would apply if you were portaging over a distance. A light kayak may be a better choice than a larger canoe.

Hunter

I totally agree with you both. If I can't carry it without breaking my back and in regards to a tent, if I can't put it up in 30 minutes; it isn't worth the money I paid for it. Sometimes, simple is better. I don't go camping to stay in luxury anyway. That's why we call it roughing it.

Taggart

I assume that some products are made with strong yet lightweight materials. I've heard about high-end bicycles being made like that, and I guess it would make sense to apply that to camping supplies too.

I guess that may come more into play if you had a tent with a significant number of poles.

jason

fear no beer
Well I have to agree. I went to Bass Pro Shop in Orlando today. They had tents on display with sitting rooms in the tents and all sorts of stuff. While it is nice, I would not want to carry it around. Or the stove they had there with burners on top and a stove type of thing on the bottom.

justontime

It really depends on what you want or need, but I agree with you that bigger is not necessarily better.

kernow

It is important to think carefully about what you want, and how you intend to use it before choosing something as important as a tent. It is all too easy to make expensive mistakes.

daniels_co

the best one is the one wich fits for u, not too small and not too big,If if to big, is more expansive, is heavier, ......so... in this case biger is not necesarly better.

Newanderthal

get multiple tents. Get a cheap dome from Wal-Mart for camping at drive-up sites. It can be big, bulky and fancy. For backpacking, get a solo tent or a 2 man tent. Check out campmor.com. A backpacking tent shouldn't weigh more than 3 lbs. If you're sharing a 2 man tent with your wife, have her carry the poles and rain fly. That way you split the weight.