Cajun Style Chicken Spaghetti

Cappy

A family favorite was always Chicken Spaghetti. We had Chickens, most all other ingredients could be found in the garden, and pasta was very cheap.

this wonderful stuff is one of the recipes I am glad to still have. Here is the recipee and a video of me cooking it. Give it a try you wont be disappointed.

The Round Robin's Cajun Country Cooking Blog: Cajun Style Chicken Spaghetti

Hikenhunter

Looks good. You know you don't think of spaghetti when you think of Pa. Dutch cooking either but Grandmom's spaghetti featured smoked and/or fresh sausage as the main meat and sauce was made with a recipe she had in her head and I sure do miss her and the great meals we had growing up. Leftover spaghetti was reheated by frying it up in a little lard a day or two after we had it the first time. Real comfort food, made with love.

ppine

Forester
Great style in that dish. I make a similar dish called "Hot Rod Chicken." It is Italian inspired with a lot of garlic, olive oil, and ristra chiles. I like to use onions, mushrooms and misc vegetables in it. It is better the second day.

Northern Dancer

Sorry...I just couldn't resist

Is it worth the waiting for?
If we live for eighty four
All we ever get is gruel!
Every day we say our prayer --
Will they change the bill of fare?
Still we get the same old gruel!
There's not a crust, not a crumb can we find,
Can we beg, can we borrow, or cadge,
But there's nothing to stop us from getting a thrill
When we all close our eyes and imagine
Food, glorious food!
Hot sausage and mustard!
While we're in the mood --
Cold jelly and custard! (soloist 1)
Peas pudding and savoys
What next is the question? (soloist 2)
Rich gentlemen have it, boys --
in digestion!
Food Glorious food
We're anxious to try it
Three banquets a day
Our favorite diet
Just picture a great big steak
Fried, roasted, or stewed
Oh food! magical food! wonderful
food! marvelous food!

from the production: Oliver

ppine

Forester
Food becomes very important in the bush, so does a warm bed.
I can cook and so can my brothers and most of my friends. We bring real food even on backpacking trips. I do not like dehydrated food at all. I have reduced my base weight quite a bit to make room for food and a Holonox chair.

On raft trips in particular and drift boat trips we have plenty of room. We take turns making dinner. The food is always a big highlight. I like to bring a small Aluminum Dutch Oven to cook with. It has no legs and can be used on a stove or next to the fire.

Northern Dancer

I'm with you "Pine" - when I sat down and counted the cost and re-checked the contents of the dehydrated food? I didn't realize how much I was being paying for salt. The great thing about our era, there are some mighty excellent foods and I've learned how to prepare my own meal packages that cost so much less. There is still nothing better than fresh lake trout smothering in butter [and some of your onions] sizzling in a cast iron fry pan with simple bannock bread.

At the end of the day I like to embrace my high back Helinox chair and I lavish my sophisticated sleep system - I tell you, experience sure teaches you a lot about being sensible.

I carry one MRE meal that I hold in reserve for an emergency situation.

I do remember one trip when we had ten teen youth with us. We thought, "What the heck - they got muscle." So we had two coolers. One -
unbeknownst to them contained freeze dried ice. We packed in two inch pork chops, butter, AND ice cream. In the other was lettuce tomato, milk, and cheese. They unknowingly carried ten pounds of potatoes. Mid way on the trip we ordered them out of camp and suggested they explore the other islands and not come back until supper time. When they returned my buddy and I served a wide eyed group of youth our version of "Dinner ala Wilderness".

Lettuce and Tomato Salad with Croutons and Creamy Coleslaw Dressing
Breaded Pork Chops
Mashed Yukon Gold Potato - with Real Cream and Butter and a tad of Onion Green
Peaches and Cream Style Corn
Ice Cream with a Large Dad's Chocolate Chip Cookie wedged into the side.
Coffee, Tea or Milk