Camp kitchen (chuck box) options/suggestions

EmberMike

I'm starting to realize that my kitchen gear is just way too disorganized and all over the place. I need a more centralized unit for storing and accessing kitchen equipment. I've looked at chuck boxes but they seem bulky, heavy, and since they're often made of wood maybe not the best weather-proof option.

Any suggestions? I'm looking for a car-camping store-all kitchen solution that doesn't weigh a ton when empty, let alone full. Does anyone make a more modern version of the chuck box?

Grandpa

As scouts we had the old wooden chuck boxes that used the legs as handles but when filled it took 4 strong scouts or two good men to carry them.
I have yet to see a better box so grandma and I use two heavy totes and keep everything loaded in one and the other reserved for food. Two ice chests are also reserved and contain the non kitchen gear until time to leave. We reload all the paper products, spices, and washcloths, etc as soon as we get home so everything is, add the food, grab and go.

frank6160

I use the plastic bins too. not the greatest for organizing but keeps things dry and in one place. I have toyed with the idea of dividers but haven't gotten to it. I just deal with having to dig around for what I need.

Hikenhunter

There are hundreds of plans on the internet that might suit your needs. I would check this out for starters http://blueskykitchen.com/ If you want to build it yourself your imagination is the limit. The one I use consists of three stackable boxes that form a sturdy place to keep my cooking gear and to prepare food for cooking, as well as a place to store my lanterns, rope, and other tools that make camping chores easier and keep things more organized. Lots of how to's on you tube as well.

ppine

Forester
The old wood wanigans are cool but heavy and clunky. There are some nice dry boxes made of aluminum made for rafting, but they are expensive.

tramp

Maybe look into one of the garage storage cabinets at lowes or home depot. Made out of plastic or reisn. Lots of dif. Sizes. Paint, legs, wheels... Idk. Just a thought.

tramp

I cant post a pic !! Damn it. But this was cool
Guy made a cabinet out of a 55gal drum. Cut a door, made shelfs so cool !!