CAMPING COVID THREAT...

Northern Dancer

We were talking about the difficulty in booking canoe trips the other day. Now there is a suggestion that campgrounds will be closed. I don't know if this will affect me/us in any way but things are looking grim in this neck of the woods.

I'm getting a sense that my tent platform outback is going to be used a lot this year. I have noticed the unusual quiet in our neighbourhood and, what seems to be an abundance of songbirds and small animals - lots of squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, and the like. WHAT'S HAPPENING IN YOUR DISTRICTS?

Roybrew

Most campgrounds here are doing their normal spring opening. Last year was the biggest year for campgrounds being filled up. They did close the primitive campgrounds on one lake that I know of, last year. I made reservations January of last year and the they closed them down before I could go. This year they are wide open and are filling up fast. They closed part of the Appalachian Trail last year. I don't about this year tho.

I'm trying to schedule a time next month to go with my brother. He's always said that after he has retired, he'd be ready to go at the drop of a hat. Ha, he retired last year and had been busier then a one legged man in a butt kicking contest. We're both trying to dig out of the ruts we've dug.

Northern Dancer

The see-saw is pretty much the same here. Last year Algonquin was wild with all kinds of weird things going on. So far it's shaping up to be the same this year. This is why I'm hoping they leave the interior campers alone. Anyway, we shall see. In the meantime, as I mentioned, I've constructed a tent platform on the property. My vivid imagination will make it work.

With your determination and creativity Roybrew, you are going to accomplish the goal.

Roybrew

They had to close the Smokey Mountains Nat. Park last year because people were flocking there for large gatherings. If people would have stayed with small groups, they might not have closed the area.

I enjoy getting off the beaten path, not to an extreme tho. Lots of campgrounds here are turning into RV parks. The one we stayed at last year was very nice. It was quiet time after 9pm, which meant no generators running or any other noise.

Grandpa

On our trip last week, the National Park campgrounds were closed but there were tents and trailers in about every nook and crany all over Utah. The amount of trailers around Moab was unbelievable but that is normal for that area.

ppine

Forester
When everything is closed is a good time to venture out.
I have camped in a state park before that was closed for the winter.
We were on the Colorado River in Feb and landed on the beach.

Northern Dancer

When everything is closed is a good time to venture out.
I have camped in a state park before that was closed for the winter.
We were on the Colorado River in Feb and landed on the beach.
-----> Travel is restricted in this province so you have to be very careful where you are going. You need to be completely outfitted and sufficient foodstuff. Most of the stop-in restaurants on our way to our destination are closed. In fact, the phrase that has come into common use is, "Need to Know Before you Go. We are hoping with the massive vaccinations going on there will some near normality. I have a hunch, when it happens, there will be a flood of people who will swamp the bookings. Haliburton Waterway Trails is a neat canoe area that is fabulous, and more than reasonably priced. In the same instance, it's well-patrolled and the sites are few and far in-between.