Can You Eat Possum?

CatsEye

Just curious. We have a lot of opossum in our area and I'm going to have to start thinning out the population. Has anyone tried eating possum meat? If so, how do you prepare it or prep it to prepare?

SpencerT

People really eat possum? Why would you need to thin out the population when cars already seem to do that. I see them dead in the road more often than any other kind of roadkill. I don't think I would want to try their meat, unless maybe it had a ton of salt or something on it.

southerngal

Yep, you can eat possum and down here in the South it's pretty common. I haven't had it myself, but there are even some restaurants that serve it down this way.

AlwaysOutdoors

Yes I have heard of them eating possum although I have never tried it myself. We did go to a restaurant one time the specialized in stuff like this. We tried the rattlesnake which wasn't to bad and I can't remember what other kind of wild animals they had right now but was a lot of them.

charley

You never watched the beverly hillbillies? Of course ppl eat possum. I never have. Google it you should find recipes.

Ilovelife

Yeah, I am pretty sure the Beverly Hillbillies had opossum with every single meal. I have never had them, bit a friend of mine told me they taste alright.

Newanderthal

My uncle was the type of backcountry Cajun that you see on movies like The Water Boy. He ate opossum on a regular basis. It is more greasy than rabbit but not as tough as squirrel.

Make a soup, stew, or gumbo and skin the surface to remove some of the grease. Decent taste, despite their nasty appearance.

CatsEye

They aren't thinned out enough in my part of the country. I'm going to have to start doing it manually-with a rifle. They are ugly little cusses but waste not, want not my Mom used to say. I'm willing to give it a go and thanks for the recipe tips.

dinosaur

troublemaker
The Newanderthal is right. You have to stew some of the fat out first or oppossum is too rich to eat. Once that is done, you can roast it but you still need to use a drip pan.

ppine

Forester
When I was 12 I tried trapping and caught a possum on a camping trip. We cooked it on a spit over a low fire. It was greasy, but the fat kept it moist. It was better than most things you can find in the woods.

EddieK47

Old Yankee
My friend :) do you eat eggs?what are they and where do they come from.Do you like shrimp?The closest biological relative to a shrimp is a slug.i could keep going but you won't go to the supermarket;) .

dinosaur

troublemaker
For those of you who have eaten oppossum and did not like it, I would say there is a distinct possibility it was not properly prpared. Still, if you don't like it, at least you had enough adventurous spirit to try it.

for those who have never tried it and strongly profess they would never attempt it, I would have to wonder whether or not you are still drinking your mother's milk or were simply more open to new things as a child and have become closed minded as an adult.

Personally I believe that God has given us an endless variety of foods to taste and I want to taste it all. Why would anyone want to go through life being bored by their tastebuds? Food is one of the great pleasures of life. Try it.

Judy Ann

Now Eddie and Dinosaur my question was why would anyone want to eat one? There isn't much on this earth that I haven't eaten or at least tasted, but there are some creatures I choose not to eat and possums, cats, dogs and horses fit into that category. I don't believe that I'll be eating baby octopus again either (something about the tentacles sticking out of the mouth while biting the head off). Just saying that if I was worried about wasting a food product I'd feed the pigs first. If I'm starving there are plenty of other animals I would kill first and I'm pretty good with a hook and line.

Just my opinion.