Cooking directly on the coals....

Benny

Did you know that if you need to, you can cook directly on the coals of your campfire? I've actually toasted bread and cooked some meats directly on the white ash of a fire. All you have to do is wipe it off, and the taste is actually very delicious!

Refrigerator

Benny/ Humans have been doing just that for many many moons. Also that ash you are wiping off is not harmful too you. Ash actually is good for an upset Stomach.

DThewanderer

Hrm, what if someone throws something they shouldn't in to the fire, like Styrofoam, would that make the ash bad to eat? I know you can do it but I never have tried it, although I have placed a rock in the coals and cooked on that.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
Eh, I HAVE dropped food on the ashes before but I don't really like the crunching and grinding sounds it makes as you eat the food soooo I use sticks or anything else I can find.

It won't hurt you, ash is nothing that can harm your body if you ingest it.

HikingGuy

I have never cooked right on the ashes without it being in some type of container, I would be fine, but the wife is very particular as to how her food is prepared, even while camping.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
I have never cooked right on the ashes without it being in some type of container, I would be fine, but the wife is very particular as to how her food is prepared, even while camping.
Net a few grasshoppers and toss them on the coals till crispy ;) hah.... Bugs are 70% protein where stake is about 20%.

Michael

Net a few grasshoppers and toss them on the coals till crispy ;) hah.... Bugs are 70% protein where stake is about 20%.
A coworker was telling me that where he comes from (Thailand) some people grow fields of crops just to lure locusts. Then they catch them with nets, cook them, and eat them. They're apparently really good for you, and a lot of people find them to be quite tasty.