Coolers

failghe

Ok a couple of questions. I use 1 for frozen foods, 1 for cold drinks, any 1 for dry goods.
Do you feel the 5 day coolers are worth the money? We usually go for a weekend. But the ice doesn't last, it is hot in Florida.
How do you keep the meat juice from getting out or the ice water from getting into your foods? The meat is in freezer ziplock bags. It happens when it starts to defrost.
How do you lock your coolers? I have used bungee cords but doesn't always work to keep the animals out or the kids. LOL.

tater03

I would like to know this also. No matter what I do the water seems to get into the bags. I try to make sure that I put new ice in and drain the cooler when it needs it. That helps somewhat.

justontime

We have a car cooler, but when camping in more remote places we don't use a cooler, we just use canned or packet foods.

jason

fear no beer
You could us frozen gel-packs or freeze some box drinks. The drinks will thaw and keep your meal cold at the same time. Maybe take some old 2 liter soda bottles and fill them with water and freeze them a day or two before you leave. This will keep the food cold and provide you with fresh water. A block of ice keeps longer than ice cubes.

Foam chests are lightweight, low cost, and have good "cold retention" power. But they are fragile and may not last through numerous outings. Plastic, fiberglass, or steel coolers are more durable and can take a lot of outdoor wear. They also have excellent "cold retention" power, but, once filled, larger models may weigh 30 or 40 pounds.

Pack foods in reverse order. First foods packed should be the last foods used. (There is one exception: pack raw meat or poultry below ready-to-eat foods to prevent raw meat or poultry juices from dripping on the other foods.) Take foods in the smallest quantity needed (e.g., a small jar of mayonnaise). At the campsite, insulate the cooler with a blanket, tarp, or poncho. When the camping trip is over, discard all perishable foods if there is no longer ice in the cooler or if the gel-pack is no longer frozen.

Bring two coolers: one for drinks and snacks, and another for more perishable food. The drink cooler will be opened and closed a lot, which lets hot air in and causes the ice to melt faster. Pack your coolers with several inches of ice, blocks of ice, or frozen gel-packs. Store food in watertight containers to prevent contact with melting ice water.

If you are backpacking for more than a day, the food situation gets a little more complicated. You can still bring cold foods for the first day, but you’ll have to pack shelf-stable items for the next day. Canned goods are safe, but heavy, so plan your menu carefully. Advances in food technology have produced relatively lightweight staples that don’t need refrigeration or careful packaging. For example:
  • peanut butter in plastic jars;
  • concentrated juice boxes;
  • canned tuna, ham, chicken, and beef;.
  • dried noodles and soups;
  • beef jerky and other dried meats;
  • dehydrated foods;
  • dried fruits and nuts; and
  • powdered milk and fruit drinks.
Powdered mixes for biscuits or pancakes are easy to carry and prepare, as is dried pasta. There are plenty of powdered sauce mixes that can be used over pasta, but check the required ingredient list. Carry items like dried pasta, rice, and baking mixes in plastic bags and take only the amount you’ll need.

Never leave stinky dirty dishes or uneaten food lying around out in the open. Wash dishes immediately after use. As for uneaten food, either burn it or store it in your cooler. Place fabric softeners throughout your campsite–animals hate the smell of them. Secure them in various spots around the perimeter, put some in your tent and even one with your food to mask its smell.

Hope that helps.

HereToday

Couldn't this be a time to use dry ice? I have a friend who is an excellent camp-fire chef and she's beginning to use dry ice in the bottom of her metal coolers. Would this be OK for foods that won't be eaten for several days?

poster25

I'm with Justontime, on most of our trips, we are able to park the car nearby. So we do not have to cart the cooler around. However, we use separate lunchbox coolers for the meats so that the juices do not run.

Woodzie

I bring my meat frozen and it is usually in a zip lock baggie. I then put them in snap and sealed containers, that way the juice does not get all over.

We use a drink cooler and a food cooler as well.

A couple days before we go camping I will take the big gallon zip lock bags and fill them full of water. I then freeze them. It turns into the big blocks. We went camping for 4 days once, filled the cool with 3 bags each of ice cubes. We didn't need to add ice at all because the blocks kept it cold enough so that the cubes didn't melt to fast.

I do like the idea of using the 2-liter soda bottles for ice. I never thought about that.

failghe

I have thought about the dry ice but am kinda scared to try it as I have never bought it. Maybe I will have to try some over the weekend here at home just in case something goes wrong. I understand it is very, very cold. :smow:
Putting the meats in close tight containers is a good idea also.

2beoutdoors

We just buy ice every day and we have never had any problems with any of the meat or dairy going bad.

We usually take the meat out and put it in tupperware containers so they are not leaking. We usually marinate everything.