Creating a back lot Camp Site...

Northern Dancer

Things are still really tight in this jurisdiction because of Covid, though I do have two canoe trips planned for July. So in the meantime what can I do to amuse myself? I decided to put in a tent platform, move the barbeque to the tent site, plant shrubs and small bushes to give me a sense of wilderness. I bought the more expensive birdseed and one huge bag of nuts that contained macadamia, walnuts, chestnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, and others. I was pleasantly surprised when I observed two large furry rabbits, chipmunks, a variety of birds that included bluejays, cardinals, woodpeckers, chickadees, a beautiful yellow songbird, red-winged blackbirds, and others that I've never seen before coming to the feeder. There is a galore of squirrels. I put in two bird suet stations that seem to be a real hit. Though the project isn't complete just yet I have been amazed at what "I have".

It could well be that I don't have to travel 206 miles to get away from it all. Gnaw - I need to get into the real wilderness. In the meantime though, this will do, and sprinkled with a bit of imagination, the pleasant odour of the inside of the tent I think I can make it work - or at least have some fun until the real stuff can be had. I think I was inspired by some of the comments of our extinguished colleague "PPine".

Roybrew

Almonds and macadamia nuts? If my neighbor had that out for his birds, I'd be over there pretending to be one....tweet tweet. Ha

That's a really great idea Dancer.

ppine

Forester
ND,
I had a native plant landscape company as my last job before retirement. I always suggested to people to have a campsite in the back yard when they have room. I would suggest a place for a fire in smaller yard.

I have been having backyard tent parties for over 40 years. I like tents in the spring, fall and winter with a place for a fire. Naturally this concept has grown over the years to include a camp site. I planted some good sized ponderosa pines (ppines) in my current campsite 15 years ago. They are getting big now. My travel trailer has been out near the campsite in the last year. I sleep in it often. I have tipi poles and poles for a Baker tent. I have a steel frame for a wall tent.

I like to cook on the ground with Dutch Ovens. I found some decorative cinder blocks on the property and built a small stove with those using a flat piece of steel for the top. I can slide a small fire under it for cooking tortillas and using it as a comal. It works great for keeping the coffee pot hot, and other things like beans warm. I have cooked for up to 50 people with one small campfire. The back yard is quieter and more scenic than most campgrounds. I love my yard and feel lucky to have one million acres of BLM land just outside the fence.

Northern Dancer

...I can sure relate to what you have shared "PPine". My place has always been quieter than the organized campground. And true - mighty convenient. I think I can see it is a work in progress. It is providing a lot of fun in my spare time that I seem to have a lot of lately. Trust you are doing better than well.

jason

fear no beer
Sadly I am not able to get out until November it looks like. I'm about to go into the empty 2 acres next to me for a night or two on the weekend.

Northern Dancer

Sadly I am not able to get out until November it looks like. I'm about to go into the empty 2 acres next to me for a night or two on the weekend.
-----> Sorry to hear that. It happened to me once and I admit it had a profound effect on my life. I felt enclosed and smothered. There is a need for me to escape and for me, it is the wilderness or some facsimile of the same.