Dedicated GPS or Mobile Phone GPS?

UAE_Camp

I used both of them... The dedicated GPS is very useful for remembering the track... but I love my N8, it has amazing camera capability, and it stores the GPS position everytime I took the picture, it makes me easy for plotting them back on the maps at home...

oldsarge

I think if you can afford it, this would be the way to go. GPS units are so much more reliable for navigating, but a nice phone with all them features is awful handy to have.

I have always said that I would prefer the GPS over the phone but if I had to chose only one, I'd have to go with the phone with a GPS app. At least I'd have communications too.

ChadTower

I wouldn't want to use my phone for anything other than a single daylight out and back. Too many battery life issues.

That said the only real standalone GPS I have ever used (other than a car nav) is an old Garmin unit with a serial interface that is just a massive pain in the ass to use. It takes forever to input data.

NorthMan

I prefer using an iOS app Spyglass – it’s a great navigational toolkit for different purposes. It’s top-notch for off-road and on-road navigation, hiking and traveling. It’s crammed with all that necessary data like gps coordinates, current azimuth, altitude, speed, potential arrival time to your target and much more. It can read pre-downloaded maps later when offline and provides you with extremely precise information. https://itunes.apple.com/app/spyglass/id332639548?mt=8&at=11lLc7&ct=fs