Do it all utility knife or individual tools?

Christie

Do you all carry a do it all type utility knife when adventuring into the outdoors? Or do you carry a small kit, maybe, with individual tools? I have been looking at some Swiss Army knives to buy for my teen son who really is beginning to have a love of the outdoors and was wondering just how much would suffice? Any suggestions?

Bumpkin

My husband carries a multi gadget tool. It isn't Swiss Army, but it is similar and it works great for most of our needs. It came with a belt clip case so it's also great because it doesn't take up much needed space.

smore

We have a multi gadget tool in our trailer along with some other tools that we always are looking for. I think that the teens love those gadgets whether they are into outdoors or not. That would be a great gift.

Wild Bill

I would get the Swiss Army knife. They come in handy and its a beginner tool for young men. If your son decides he wants to do more specialized outdoor activities, like hunting, then get him a small kit.

Again I like Swiss Army Knives because they are small and compact and you can use them for a wide variety of things.

calanta

I think having an all in one is good, but you still need some backup tools for just in case. I have ran into some issues, few mind you but some, that required a real sized tool before.

Pebbles

We're looking at buying our son a Swiss Army knife for Christmas. I think this is a great way to go for beginners just because, even with the SA's you can get different models with different tools.