Doubling up on SLEEPING BAGS

Northern Dancer

3230 SHOULD YOU PUT ONE SLEEPING BAG INSIDE ANOTHER?

This was a question I was asked recently. It is an interesting topic for those of us who winter camp. There are other threads here on our Outdoor Basecamp forum; some rather interesting thoughts and ideas.

So here is my take on the issue for 2022 [Happy New Year everyone!]

GENERALLY
First, purchase a sleeping bag that is appropriate for you. That could mean spring, summer, fall, and winter or somewhere in between - depending on what the conditions are prominent in your neck of the woods. You could be residing in hot places where other places may have more of a temperate condition. If you camp in the snow you will know that what you use in the Sierra might not be helpful.

WINTER
I use an insert that is appropriate for the bag I use. I don't need a heavy-duty one because I don't want to sweat - I just want to be warm. An insert will help increase the temperature AND, it will help keep the sleeping bag clean. It is easier to wash an insert than a sleeping bag. I have used a lighter [summer bag] as an insert too. READ VERY CAREFULLY the labels and advertisements for EXPENSIVE INSERTS that frequently are not worth the price you pay. Use some common sense. Do research long before you buy. I also wear clean soft gloves and a balaclava to keep my hands and head warm.

MY CURRENT INVENTORY [Keeping in mind that I'm an active camper/canoe person.]
Two winter bags - one 15 degrees Celcius and one 20 degrees Celcius. I have two Downey feathered bags, one Downey feathered sleeping blanket. Two inserts, and one very light [for hot temperatures] sleeping bag. [You need a sleeping pad for this one.]

YOU DON'T ALWAYS NEED AN INSERT
Try using a hot water bottle or hand heater pads. [Make sure you cover them to prevent burns.] I've used hot rocks rolled in a towel. You can now get heated sleeping bag socks if you are inclined to. And yes, sharing a large bag with a partner may be an answer. But not for me it isn't. :Smile2:

Roybrew

That's interesting stuff. I should've taken my 40 degree bag and my felt liner last time I went. I took my 0 degree bag and it did get a little warm in it cause it didn't drop below 30. I would unzip it and cover up with my down quilt. Being a square bag left plenty of room so I could move my feet around. I wore my down booties the first night and was soon peeling out of them.

Yes this is great information cause I was just thinking that I need to wash my 40 degree bag. The felt liner would be easier to wash.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Northern Dancer

You make good points Roybrew. I don't favour mummy-style bags because I tend to get caught up in them. I prefer more space that allows me to toss and turn during the night. I like the flannel liners too - you just sew a twin sheet and walla you have an insert with a purdy design if you want it. The one mummy I have is spacious and has a "foot compartment" that gives more space for my feet. I can use a warmer and it helps too.

I admit, if youth, in particular, don't have the resources, [leaders too] by all means - put two bags together. When it comes to warmth and safety I'm not going to be insistent that you follow the pros.

Denni2

We use a 20° F double sleeping bag always lined with cotton sheets. I sewed Velcro in the bag and on the sheets to keep them from getting bunch up. If it is colder we add one or two wool army blankets. We have always been plenty toasty warm. Don’t forget the wool socks and a hat.

Thomas H

Bibsoutdoors
The last bag I bought was a Big Agnus 0° bag. (I use a 40° bag for summer). All of it's insulation is on the top and sides, Zero insulation on the bottom. We put insulated sleeping pads in a pocket of the bag to hold it in place. I guess the idea is to put the insulation where you need it and not on the bottom where you lay on it crushing the loft leaving no insulating qualities. It seems to be working so far.

After years of having wrap around insulation, this took me awhile to "warm" up to. I do agree whole heartedly, liners are a fantastic way to go and for the very reasons you stated, easily cleaned and taken care of adding little over all weight to your pack. My wife sewed flannel and cotton top sheets for me to slide Into place inside the bag. Flannel adds warmth and the cotton absorbs my stinky self.

Only twice did I double up on bags. I was at a frozen butt hang in northern Minnesota. The temps got down to -19°F, I used a 40°bag inside a 0° top quilt inside my hammock. I was glad I brought it. I remember it was difficult to drive myself out of it in the morning, finally mother nature won out and I got up. Another time I was in the mountains of Idaho. Cold weather came in while I was out. It got down to -45°F with a wind chill off -65°F. I was more than grateful I had two bags with me then. I remember using my North Face Ibex and wrapping a square cut bag around it. I'm not sure how much sleep I got that night (not much I'm sure) the wind was so nasty and it was cold.

ppine

Forester
I like a 20 degree bag which works for most things and is not too hot. For winter cold I add a fleece blanket inside. A good pad is important.
For winter truck camping I bring Pendleton wool blankets to add to the 20 degree bag.
I never owned a super duper zero , 20 below bag. Too specialized, too expensive and I hate being hot.

Northern Dancer

You make an excellent point "Pine" when you talk about the importance of the pad. I have spent as much time selecting a pad as I have a sleeping bag. My one bag is - 4 Fahrenheit but when the temperature outside/inside the tent is - 22 Fahrenheit I'm looking for a lot more protection. :Smile2:

Over the years I have watched guys pile on the blankets hoping that it would help generate warmth inside. It's been a hard sell on occasion to convince a person that what's on the bottom is as important as what's on top.

ppine

Forester
It was -38 degrees in my driveway in Colorado, -43 in Frazier Park, CO on a ski trip.
Nothing runs in those temperatures.

ppine

Forester
I was on a ski trip in Colorado years ago with my ex-wife. She pissed me off real bad, so I slept in the back of my truck. It was a pick up that had a camper shell with carpet and some insulation in it. I had a good pad, a 15 degree sleeping bag, and one blanket from the house we rented. I slept fine out there and was surprised to learn that it was -18 degrees that night.

Thomas H

Bibsoutdoors
I was on a ski trip in Colorado years ago with my ex-wife. She pissed me off real bad, so I slept in the back of my truck. It was a pick up that had a camper shell with carpet and some insulation in it. I had a good pad, a 15 degree sleeping bag, and one blanket from the house we rented. I slept fine out there and was surprised to learn that it was -18 degrees that night.
YIKES! Lol, don't do any equipment testing for sleeping bag companies...you'll kill the rest of us!!!

Northern Dancer

The reality is there are so many sleeping bags you really have to study hard to get the right one for you. But they all seem to have the same problems that haven't really been solved. Let's talk about the zipper pull. The Colemen people have come close to a no-snag zipper. I remember last year how difficult it was to pull the zipper closed on a particularly cold night. I'm not a swearing man but I sure had a mouth full.

Here is a Hispar 1200 Down sleeping bag that can keep you warm in temperatures - 72.4 Fahrenheit, about $1,400.00
You wouldn't have to worry about doubling up with this setup.

Roybrew

Zippers! I thought it was just me. A person really has to practice patience when it comes those zippers. If you get angry [emoji35] and go jerking at it, you may have grave regrets.

Thomas H

Bibsoutdoors
The reality is there are so many sleeping bags you really have to study hard to get the right one for you. But they all seem to have the same problems that haven't really been solved. Let's talk about the zipper pull. The Colemen people have come close to a no-snag zipper. I remember last year how difficult it was to pull the zipper closed on a particularly cold night. I'm not a swearing man but I sure had a mouth full.

View attachment 3254

Here is a Hispar 1200 Down sleeping bag that can keep you warm in temperatures - 72.4 Fahrenheit, about $1,400.00
You wouldn't have to worry about doubling up with this setup.
My gosh...-74°F...incredible, $1,400.00 MOST INCREDIBLE! LOL! That's a scary price tag for someone like me! One other thing, if PPine was one of the testers then we can safely say this bag is good for temps in outer space!

Thomas H

Bibsoutdoors
Zippers! I thought it was just me. A person really has to practice patience when it comes those zippers. If you get angry [emoji35] and go jerking at it, you may have grave regrets.

I have a real hard time in mummy bags, they make me feel claustrophobic. When I feel like that anger doesn't stand a chance against panic. Panic will result in the same disastrous outcome only it also ushers in insanity. ☠

Northern Dancer

To me - the "bag" looks more like a coffin - and like a lot of people, I get claustrophobic as well. I'm a "tosser and a turner" kind of sleeper so I want room to navigate.