Fall Camping Close to Home

ppine

Forester
In late November I went camping 1/2 hour from the house with my dog. The first night I was the only person in a campground that is normally full in summer. Sitting in a Jeffrey pine forest, I had a nice fire going with some canvas hung vertically to break the wind and reflect some heat and light. It was just me and Ruby Begonia watching the moon rise through the pine trees. About 2 hours after dark, which comes early this time of year a Great Horned Owl started up in a nearby tree. Every time I called to him he answered. Staring into fire was the perfect time to reflect on all of my blessings and the important people in my life. Never lose your ability to enjoy the quiet.

The next night the weekend started and some trailers showed up. It was a whole different experience. Fortunately I invited some friends to join me for dinner. I made them stacked enchiladas with carne asada in a Dutch Oven on the fire. Muy bueno. My friend brought his DO and made brownies. My greatest challenge now is camping all year. We were in a warming trend and it was a little below 20. I slept in the relative warmth of the hybrid trailer turtled up. I used a propane heater to take off the chill reading before bed. It was splendid and felt like cheating.

Next a trip to the low desert in February.

Cappy

Peggy and I have a wonderful lil state park bout half hour away its our go to drop of the hat "Hey ya wanna go camping a few days" place. It is nestled on the woods very quiet but off of a major southern highway. 10 minutes and ya on a busy road with all ya could want grocery store doller store etc and one of the best open seafood markets in the state. Fresh I say the shrimp boats and fisher boats are parked in the back at the market. It is peaceful quiet week days and we love strolling the park and trails with our bratty dog. Advantage for spur o da moment is ya have grocery etc close for the stuff ya forget in a rush and if we there 3 days we shop the market 2 of them. The fishing is great there too with very nice boat launch and lighted pier for bank fishing but for a short gete away we seldom bring the boat there is plenty to do for a restful trip. We also will invite friends and cook up some fresh seafood and the beer run is short and handy too.:beer3:

ppine

Forester
The highway access home from this trip was about to temporarily close, so I got up early to go home and see my girl. At around 0500, I was towing my trailer through downtown Carson City. Right across from the state capitol, a herd of 12 mule deer crossed the street in a crosswalk. They walked across in an orderly fashion, staying between the lines like there was a crossing guard. There was no one around but I was laughing out loud.