Family Tent recomendations 3 1/2 season

jdee

Hello All, first post here.
Basically I have been searching the net for a 6-8 person base/family tent. My only requirements other than the basics are full zip up flaps that cover all the mesh and height greater than 6 feet. These are available in the 4 season high price tents. Looking to spend less than $200.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
jd

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
I can think of few large tents for $200 that can be recommended. Try for a used quality tent. Or use several smaller tents.

jdee

I've looked at all the big box store tents but description usually never mentions if windows or ceiling top have zip up covers. Want to use with a Big Buddy heater. Never thought of used. thanks

Tent is probably going to stay up all summer/fall on my property. For the price of a high end tent I could build a small cabin/shed to sleep and hangout. lol

Hikenhunter

Welcome to OBC. Lots of good knowledgable people on this site. As for a 6 to 8 person 31/2 season tent you might have some luck at this site. Tents - Family Tents and Camping Tents from Coleman, Eureka, Marmot and Others. Search by Brand, Type and Accesories Just click on family tents and browse, also check out Amazon as you will find lots of things there at discount prices. A tent as large as you are seeking, with any kind of decent quality, is going to be hard to find in the $200 price range. You will probably end up with a Coleman or some off brand tent ehae may or may not perform to your expectations. Like ppine suggested I think you might do better to look at 2 smaller tents rather than one large tent. Many campsites will not be big enough for one tent that size but by having the versatility of using 2 tents you might be able to set both in the same site at different places and of course if you find yourself taking less than 6 people you wouldn't have to use up as much campsite space for your tent. Good luck in whatever you decide.

jdee

Does UV effect these nylon tents? some mfg say voids warranty.
Could I cinch down a tarp real tight to press the rainfly against the mesh to help block airflow?
Probably want metal poles.
wife wants big tent because of the kids.
Your right about coleman, wentzel, Eureka is in price range.

Tent will be setup 5-6 months in the middle of 150 acres of lop lolly pines next to a nice pond. Not much wind. But does get cold at night.

thanks guys

Last edited:

jdee

Kelty Palisade 6 looks good. Has metal poles. $100 over budget.
alot of mesh and no zip up window covers.

Still Looking.

Well 8 hrs on the internet and no closer to what I really want at my price budget. Going to have to rethink.
I was joking earlier on my post but I am thinking now a wooden shed would work better for a shelter.

Last edited:

EmberMike

I just saw this Coleman 10-person tent in Costco the other day. It's listed over $200 in that Amazon link, but at Costco I think it goes for $170.

No idea if it fits all of your requirements, but I think it's got you covered on height and overall space. If you have a Costco near you and you're a member, it might be worth checking out.

CozInCowtown

Your requirements are kind of vague but if this is a first tent I would suggest a tent from Wal Mart to start with and figure out what you actually need.

jdee

Thanks guys for your input. I appreciate you took the time to help.
I will still look for a tent but have time to wait for a good sale. I'll save
the tent for vacations.

As for my shelter at the pond location I decided to put up a permanent shed/small cabin. No tent will survive long left out in the weather for long periods of time. Would be a waste of money.

thanks again love the forum.

Hikenhunter

Yup if you have a permanent location a small cabin would be a better idea plus you can use it year round, you can keep some stuff there year round too. If it were me that's exactly what I'd do. You can add amenities over time and end up with a real home away from home.

ppine

Forester
Leaving a tent up for many months puts a lot of wear on it. The UV light, snow loads and working back and forth in the wind will shorten its life. Plan on a tarp over the top of it.

Pressing the fly down on the mesh to block air flow is a terrible idea.

ppine

Forester
In most families, it is best to put the kids in their own tents. Then Mom and Dad can have some privacy and the kids can have some independence.

Laserwalk

Thanks guys for your input. I appreciate you took the time to help.
I will still look for a tent but have time to wait for a good sale. I'll save
the tent for vacations.

As for my shelter at the pond location I decided to put up a permanent shed/small cabin. No tent will survive long left out in the weather for long periods of time. Would be a waste of money.

thanks again love the forum.
Me and my familiy did nearly the same. We bought a military tent, it was like the pictures on http://www.r-zs.com/en/space-solutions/military-and-relief-agencies/, just smaller, placed it on our own location near the woods, not far away from our house and started to fill it with things, that are needed in a private military family tent. Some mushroom heaters, a Treasure Box with stuff for the childs, some chairs, tables, lounge furniture, a wall for projecting films on it, with a beamer and some other stuff too. We´re lucky about nobody has stolen anything from it now. We´re able to lock the tent up, but thats no guarantee for us. I think we just have good neighboors. :D Would this be an solution for you? But with 200 bucks you wont reach your goal. You have to invest up to 1000 Dollar. But then you have an nice permanent solution.

Regards :)

jdee

Thanks, post is 1 1/2 years old but I can report that I cleared and leveled the land and put in a road to my spot at the pond for the future cabin. We used a cheap tent this summer.
A black bear ripped it up and shredded a queen size air mattress. Didn't think that would happen. LOL