First backpacking trip for Granddaughter

Grandpa

We just got home today from another visit to the High Uintas in Utah. This trip was the "maiden voyage" for 9 month old granddaughter Isis. Her Mom and Dad and I had a nice 3 day visit to Kermsuh Lake basin and Isis was laughing and giggleing the whole time.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Last edited:

dinosaur

troublemaker
That's nice. Of course, Isis is young enough that she probably won't remember it later in life. I do, however, get the distinct impression it will not be the last time she goes with. And since you started her inside the first year of her life, she will be able to tell people she has been backpacking her entire life.

Nicely done.

Mudslide

Just look at her face in the first pic, she is having the time of her life! Never too young to get em started. :tinysmile_twink_t2: Looks like a lot of room to play out thatta way by the way, nice pics!

CaverGroupie

I can't help but notice that Cadillac of a carrier she's in!
I wish we'd had something that cool for my boys when they were little. We had some sort of strap and pole contraption that only my husband could wear and that made him terribly over balanced.
I remember following along behind, looking up and seeing my poor infant's sunburned head covered in mosquitoes. That was the end of hiking in that area! (coastal Virginia)
Looks like your little one is much more prepared!

cabinfever

She's a cutie, Grandpa. That's one way to add a whole new dimension to the intensity of the hike, too. I have never seen that type of carrier, with the bug screening like that. Could you share where you bought it or what brand it is?

Grandpa

We got this little girl last September, then in December we got a great grandson, so, being a backpacking family, better carriers went on the wish list. Grandma and I were out of town sitting in a restaurant and next door was a sporting goods store. So we made the mistake of wandering in "just to look". First thing I saw was child carrier backpacks, the second thing I saw was a 40 % off sign right below them. I told grandma we had to have one so the kids could use it for their little ones. She said NO, gotta have two or we'll have real problems so we bought two. They had both Kelty and Osprey packs available. We chose the Kelty Pathfinder 3 model because it had by far the biggest additional capacity, the hood, and a change pad. Besides the child, the pack has about 2000ci capacity as well as the stand to attach extra stuff to. The back part of the pack zips off as a day pack, making it that much more serviceable. In the second picture, I am carrying the day pack that zips onto the back of the carrier pack.

We'll be doing a 4 day 4 generation trip into the Sawtooths with my great grandson in August.

Last edited:

Stargazer

Love the backpack carrier. I'm going to have to look into getting one of those for my grandson. We are planning a trip to the Rockies this fall.