Fishing in the rain?

jason

fear no beer
I know some people swear that fishing in the rain makes it easier to catch fish. What are your thoughts on this? I've fished in the rain before, but never really paid much attention to if I caught more fish or not.

greengrass

One trip my husband and I took back when we were dating it rained the entire day. Let me tell you, we brought home so much fish that day! It was unbelievable! I don't know if it's true that you catch more but for us it sure seemed like it that day!

Hikker_Jim

Love it!

I love going fishing in the rain and I love the feeling of the rain hitting on my jacket. It's magical and I swear it works for catching fish. Everytime I go fishing in a good down poor I catch a good amount of fish. Try it!

atula

My dad once went fishing near a dam during the rainy season....he said it was not the rain...but the dam that did the trick...becasue the water was full the gates of the dam were opened and there was this huge load of fish that came pouring in from the gates....it was a fisherman's paradise...so to say.

Taggart

I heard about that when I was a kid, but if I ever fished in the rain, I didn't fish in the same spot at the same time of day when it wasn't raining - So I can't really make a comparison.

I hear that it may be a good time to fish because apparently they feed when it's raining, increasing your chances of getting a bite. Has anybody else heard that?

HereToday

I live in an area that has a wonderful fishing river, so I hear, and rain nearly all the time, so we see lots of fisherfolk hunched against the rain, wearing their lucky slickers. I remember being quite surprised at this when we moved here, but then again, folk mow their lawns and sometimes pour cement here, in the rain, so why not fish?

Bushman

There may be some truth to the myth. I've been caught in the rain while spear fishing a few times and the water gets murky and hard to see.

I think the decrease in visibility underwater could possibly lead to fish not being able to distinguish certain object causing them to bite a hook more often.

Long and short, it seems logical to me.

2coastcamper

OK, I was watching an episode of Man vs. Wild once, and Bear was in a tree trying to fish with a net made out of his pants. If I remember correctly, he scattered dirt on the water, and I think he said it was to make the fish think it was raining.

Of course, he didn't catch any fish, but it looked like he only try for about 5 minutes.

Taggart

What's the theory behind fish feeding when it's raining?

I wonder if it's because there's a run-off of rain that washes some worms into the water?

katharina

What's the theory behind fish feeding when it's raining?
I thing I used to be told about this is that when raindrops are hitting the surface of the water (I'd have to assume a light rain, not a downpour!) the fish think it's bugs landing on the surface and come up to gobble them down.