Food - THat you would Have Never Eaten!!!

PackAdventure

There must be something, that we had have on camping, which we would have never ate if we were not in outdoors.
Is there any such incident with ya all?

Judy Ann

When I started backpacking freezer-bag cooking was a new concept, but it works well for me. There are lots of cookbooks and recipes for making tasty meals and the clean-up couldn't be easier! :tinysmile_hmm_t:

TroyS

Dehydrated and freeze dried foodstuff. For the longest time, I was under the impression that anything that's dehydrated won't taste any good. There were a few that I tried that prove me right, but there were a lot that I've tried that actually enjoyed.

ponderosa

Spam, on rare occasions. When I was about ten, my dad's cousin was in charge of breakfast one morning on a backpacking trip. He'd brought pancake mix, but forgot oil and syrup/jam. He sliced spam in the pan and poured the batter over it. That was the day I learned how much I hate spam. Ghastly stuff.

The only thing I've eaten on a trip that is worse than spam was mountain house clam linguine...and it was considerably worse than the spam. I don't think they make it anymore actually. Not one person in our group of 7 could choke it down. Sooo bad. It was triple bagged and carried for four days.
With my trusty dehydrator and some decent kitchen skills, we typically eat anything we want on the trail, and eat as well as we do at home.

ppine

Forester
Possum sandwiches. Elk liver. Salmon eggs.

After a day in the cold, spam is hard to beat.

Ponderosa is letting out one of the secrets of the West. Liver and heart are worth traveling a long way to get. I like them best when they are warm out of the animal into saddlebags on a warm mule and straight to the pan with bacon and onions.

I remember complimenting a ranch cook many years ago about his skill with food after a week at the ranch: "Naw, your'e just gettin yer appetite back."

Last edited:

Grandpa

I was on an outing with a scout group with an excellent native foods expert. So I was able to taste cattails and stinging nettles. I also enjoyed some pine needle tea while stranded on a mountain top for the night in a blizzard.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

'Left over" WWII and Korean War field rats...YUK.

Crane, gull eggs, salmon roe fresh from the salmon, I was not fond of. Sushi from a just caught tuna was the best...!!.

Another thing I would NEVER touch again is Indian Turnip. That is the root of the Jack-in-the-Pulpit plant (it cannot any longer be picked, either - rare). It isn't really a food, but if you wanted to introduce some one...(preferably someone you didn't like very well)...to this item, we would cut off a small piece of the root and ask the person what they think about the taste.

It has the consistency of raw potato, with almost no flavor...to start...!! After about a minute of chewing, though, it turns into one of the hottest things you ever wrapped your tonsils around...unbelievable hot...and it stays with you for QUITE some time...bleh.

Last edited:

woodsman

Most of my friends are avid fisherman, I personally can't stand the taste, I have no idea why. Long story short, we were 2 days trek from the nearest store and the only food available was fish, those were the longest 2 days of my life.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Another thing I would NEVER touch again is Indian Turnip. That is the root of the Jack-in-the-Pulpit plant (it cannot any longer be picked, either - rare).
I didn't know that. Is that just in New York? I mention this because I found one on my land about eight years ago. Since then they have spread out and there are quite a few of them now.

Pathfinder1

dinosaur;
I didn't know that. Is that just in New York? I mention this because I found one on my land about eight years ago. Since then they have spread out and there are quite a few of them now.

Hi...

I don't know if it's Nationwide or just Statewide.

Everyone knows something.

wvbreamfisherman

dinosaur;

Hi...

I don't know if it's Nationwide or just Statewide.

Everyone knows something.

They aren't exactly rare around here, but they are protected.

The root has calcium oxalate in it, which is what burns your mouth. It is actually fairly roxic, but it can be removed by boiling in several changes of water, or by drying for at least 6 months.

Jack-in-the-Pulpit

The roots are pretty small and IMHO wouldn't be worth the trouble to collect.

CozInCowtown

Mushrooms!!
Anything that grows on a turd...... eugh!
I won't eat a turd and especially won't eat anything growing on a turd!!
Who was the first guy to eat a mushroom??? I bet he was thinking......"Hey, what's that growing on that turd??? I wonder what it taste like??"
Either that or he lost a bet with his cavemen buddies!!
JMO,
Coz

Scotty

Reminds me of eggs. Who in the whole wide world first decided to eat eggs. Think about it. An egg comes out of a chicken's butt. Now the dude who first decided to try it either had to be very, very hungry or very, very brave. The thing I wouldn't have tried, tequila worms. My wife had bought and brought along a few of the tequila suckers with worms in them. I wouldn't have tried it otherwise. Tequila's not my thing. :D