Freezer Bags...Boiling Bags?

LovingNature

Not sure if these are the same. But, can you freeze something in the zip lock freezer bags then throw it in water to cook it? Like spaghetti sauce or chili maybe? Or do they actually make ones you can freeze and put in boiling water? I'm thinking it would be good to be able to freeze up individual servings and then put into boiling water to heat up.

Regina

I think I know what you're talking about but not sure if you can use the zip locks to boil in or not. Might be worth checking around on line to see what you can find. It does sound like a good idea to just be able to freeze individual servings and throw them in some boiling water when ready to eat.

Grandpa

We use the better quality Glad or Ziplock bags for freezer bag cooking where we pour boiling water into the dry contents of the bag but not sure what will happen where the contents are froze and you put the bag in boiling water.

calanta

I have never seen anything like this that was not already pre-made, like freezer meals that have the selling point of "boil bag". I was not even sure you could do your own since the bags we get over the counter tend to tear easy.

T

tentrus

I did not think you could put any ziploc bags in boiling water. I know you can freeze things in freezer bags but you can't cook those in boiling water. I will take a look next time I go to the store to see if I see any plastic boiling bags.

steves

I have done what you describe many times, although not recommended or advised by the manufactures it does work. Out of over 50 times I think I've had 1 failure that I recall and that was the bag tearing not melting. Use the good bags and keep the water just at or below boiling point, I never tried just tossing them into a full rolling boil.
I have read things from both sides everything from the carcinogens causing cancer to it's no worse than walking down the street with a cars exhaust passing by? So make your own decision, I will only say I do it,it works and I am healthy so far!

Last edited:

Michelle

I've been wondering this myself so I'm glad someone asked. Thanks Steves for actually doing it and living! It's probably got the same dangers as reusing plastic water bottles.

Greatoutdoors

I think it will work if you use quality bags and not the cheapy storebrands. I have also seen people take bags from the freezer and place in a crockpot full of water on low.

LovingNature

Well I'm glad I checked back in here and thanks for all the replies. :) I will check those web sites out, they sound interesting. I just think this would be a simple quick way to have some meals already prepared and just put in hot water to warm through. I'm also thinking that not just throwing them into already boiling water would be best.