Good Flashlight - A Very Important Oudoor camping Gear

PackAdventure

Personally I feel That one of very important and not to forget camping gear is Flashlight, A small and efficient light proves to be very useful.

A Good Flashlight must be capable of two thing:

1.THROW light over a long distance
2.FLOOD a small area with lots of light

Do you also agree that it is indeed a very important gear that you must not forget while leaving for camping?

Attachments

Last edited:

Gondor

For me long distance beam is not that important. Near area flood is what you will need in most cases. That is why more experienced people prefer headlamps.

Barney

I completely agree and that is why carry a medium strength one battery flashlight. They are compact and last a long time. Plus battery weight increases fast with huge flashlights.

DuctTape

I have a headlamp. It isnt all that powerful. I rarely use it. I find it better to become accustomed to the dark and you can see much better overall then only the single area which a light illuminates. Mostly it isn't used because I am sleeping when it is dark.

bsmit212

Yes very important. I normally carry at least three sources of light when I backpack, a headlamp, mini mag light, and a little batter powered lantern. Normally the lantern is left hanging on my hammock/near my tent. The headlamp and mini mag are used to see/move around camp at night. When I car camp I add my big mag light and then whatever lights might make it into the car while packing.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

I keep a mini-Mag in the multi-tool case on my belt. I also have an inexpensive mil-type angle-head two cell flashlight. That's it when I'm afield.

Years ago, it was just a penlite in my shirt pocket, whether I was afield or not.

Last edited:

Grandpa

A 2 cell AAA mag lite is still my light of choice. I carry a good headlamp as a backup. I seldom set up camp in the dark, usually have my chores done before dark and don't read at night so the headlamp flood light is secondary. Around camp, unless there is no moon at all, I can usually see okay with no light. I do take walks at night and like to see out a ways, especially looking for eyes so I don't intrude on the local natives business. I'm sure there are better lights for distance than the mag, but I've yet to find them. With a set of lithium batteries, the mag is good for many hours of far reaching light.

Cappy

I still have a few mini mag lights around in my day pack, tackle box, etc. But this has been my main go to light ev er since it was invented over 25 yra ago. It claims to have 6 hrs of continous light but I have never run it dead. Fresh batteries in it and away I have gone for a month. Like yall I dont use it alot but it comes in real handy. You would be hard pressed to find a more rugged dependable light than this one.

Pelican Pocket Sabre 1820 at Discount Prices from pelicanproducts.us

ppine

Forester
I am a fan of headlamps and use them daily. My girl goes to sleep early and I use a headlamp at night in the house without turning on any lights. It has saved me several times from tripping over dogs.

I use it to work outside at night with hands free like getting firewood or draining the sprinklers before a freeze.

The LED lamps last a year even being used everyday. For a camping trip I take 2 to have one as a backup. I like flashlights okay, but you either use one hand or put the thing in your mouth which I do not like.

When I was younger, I didn't use lights much. One night I turned on a flashligt to check the soup on a stove on a table. There was a bear on his hind legs on the other side of the table.
There is one important headlamp rule of ettiquette. When you are talking with someone at close range either point it down or turn it off or it will be in their eyes.

Gondor

The truth is that most people will figure out sooner or later that you need both hands for walking and dong something in the wild in which case headlamps have the advantage.