Grandpa's final backpack.

Grandpa

After many years and thousands of miles of trails its time to hang up the old backpack and stick to the places I can get the old 4x4 to for tent or trailer camping. For out last packing trip, grandma and I had the privilege of hiking and camping with three of our great grandchildren, three grandchildren, one daughter and a grand son in law and son in law. The little peeps are already proud to carry their share and their backcountry training is well underway.

We spent two nights in the High Uinta Wilderness in Utah at about 9500 feet with a day trip into a high alpine lake at around 11,000 feet. A couple of cow moose came out of the far woods into the meadow near our camp and a nervous doe passed back and forth several times. When in my tent I could hear a strange periodic humming sound and discovered a hummingbird had a nest adjacent to our tent. I tried posting a pic of some of the kids but I guess it was too big.

I'm going to miss those alpine lakes and granite peaks.

ppine

Forester
Grandpa,
This year I turned 70 and got diagnosed with Afib. I am feeling like my backpacking career is over too. After 60 years it is difficult to accept. Carrying a heavy pack, walking uphill at high elevations a long way from help are not really what heart patients should be doing.

I feel your pain. I was very demoralized for a couple of weeks thinking this over. I still get great joy from doing boat trips. They are at lower elevations, and require little hiking,. Sometimes lining and portaging require exertion, but we can go at a slower pace.

Grandpa

Grandma and I still have a lot of mileage left. Just not on foot. We are starting with a back country road trip later this month. Far enough back we don't want to drag the trailer but we'll tent camp and take the DO's. I said something to a friend and now we have four couples tagging along. We've shared many a mile of trail with these folks and they too have tired feet.

Northern Dancer

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

...I sit here quietly, feeling as if I'm intruding. I'm listening intently to the rhythm of a consequential conversation between guys. Every year I find myself saying, "This could be your last year on the lakes and rivers." Sometimes I feel a sense of urgency. "Lord, - no interruptions, tragedies, calamities, surprizes, screw-ups. illnesses, break downs, bad weather, accidents, or anything - just let me go again." Not to be corny - but I can appreciate the pain and I know that I will feel the same someday.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ppine

Forester
Latest update. I got my heart rhythm reset. I hike out behind the house many days a week and feel much stronger. I am hiking fast now and climbing hills. I feel confident in backpacking on the volcanic plateaus again, just not the steep country about 9,000 feet.

Northern Dancer

Latest update. I got my heart rhythm reset. I hike out behind the house many days a week and feel much stronger. I am hiking fast now and climbing hills. I feel confident in backpacking on the volcanic plateaus again, just not the steep country about 9,000 feet.
=====> Really happy to hear that. "Do it because you can." I've been saying that to myself more often and embracing life as I have it at this moment.

Northern Dancer

-----> Didn't hear how you made out here. Are you still on the volcanic plateaus? Do we need to send out a Saint Bernard...with water? Just askin. :Whistling:

ppine

Forester
Hi ND. It has been too hot. May have to wait for fall, but then smoke is likely. I have been out in boats and car camping mostly with day hikes.
Cheers and Blessings to Everyone.

Northern Dancer

Hi ND. It has been too hot. May have to wait for fall, but then smoke is likely. I have been out in boats and car camping mostly with day hikes.
Cheers and Blessings to Everyone.
-----> Good to hear you are active. It has been a funny summer in this neck of the woods too. Lots of rain, heat, and sunshine. Trips are finally coming up and one starts this weekend.