Gravel Bike Advice

Denicreg

Hi again everyone. I'm looking to buy a gravel bike and need some advice. I nearly got burnt on a bike last year, but after 6 months of complete nonsense from the dealer managed to get a refund and move on.
I'm 5'9.5 with longer legs than body, I do around 70-100 miles a week and probably want the option to fit a rack. I've been looking at Cannondale, Specialized, Planet X, and a few others, but I'm up for any recommendations so brand isn't important to me. I'd be willing to spend up to $1500 or so. I also want disc brakes, hydraulic only.

Northern Dancer

If the site is quiet it is because the question you ask is for people in the know. The bikes you are talking about are in the realm of specialty items. There is probably someone who is a member who could help you but my suggestion would be that you start with your bike colleagues first.

But whatever you do. Ya gotta do your homework. I have my own standards when it comes to purchasing because like so many others I've had. Anyway - I hope this get's you started.

Glad to see you online and for your subject contributions to the site.

Last edited:

neboscott

In my opinion, the least worst option would be the Triban, it's the most "gravel oriented" and Decathlon are known for their bang for buck with own brand bikes.
The others seem too compromised on spec, the Schwinn looks like a hardtail MTB with drop bars, the Merlin and Claud Butler both look like road bikes with fat tyres and inadequate gearing.