Greetings from SE South Dakota

Thomas H

Bibsoutdoors
Northern Dancer gave me a shout out from an old camping site i belonged to and told me to take a look here for good people and great information. Thanks NDancer!

I'm a tent, hammock, bivy and now also an off road camper, camper. I'm hoping to find like minded people to share with and learn from. I do admit I've slowed done from summer camping and happily increased my winter camping activities. So this is my camping season (October on) and I'm enjoying my outings.

Thanks for allowing me to join and share a little about my likes. Hope to talk with you soon.

Attachments

Roybrew

Hey Thomas, you are close to the beginning of the Missouri River. That river flows a long way to St Louis. Boy it be flat as a pancake in South Dakota. I'd get lost.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Thomas H

Bibsoutdoors
Hey Thomas, you are close to the beginning of the Missouri River. That river flows a long way to St Louis. Boy it be flat as a pancake in South Dakota. I'd get lost.

Not only flat, all roads go North, South, East or West. I don't think there is a single road that runs on a diagonal.

Roybrew

Around here you can look hard left and check your tail lights when you go around a curve.Screenshot_20211221-205806~2.jpg My father-in-law had a 69 Lincoln 2 door car. He had to rock it on a few curves when going over the mountain. Dad always said they followed a goat with a paving machine.

The Native Cherokee Indians would follow the tops of the mountains because traveling was easier then trying to navigate the thick tundra in the valleys. There's always game trails on top of the hills.

Thomas H

Bibsoutdoors
Around here you can look hard left and check your tail lights when you go around a curve.View attachment 3241 My father-in-law had a 69 Lincoln 2 door car. He had to rock it on a few curves when going over the mountain. Dad always said they followed a goat with a paving machine.

The Native Cherokee Indians would follow the tops of the mountains because traveling was easier then trying to navigate the thick tundra in the valleys. There's always game trails on top of the hills.

Would be worth it judging from the pictures you have displayed. You live in some beautiful country!

Roybrew

Hey! You all got the Black Hills. My father-in-law always talked about the Black Hills. He was a huge Harley motorcycle man. Ya know wellington boots, chaps, big belly, long beard and a rebel with out a clue. He bought a brand new Road King hog when he retired in 95, and it had 96,000 miles on it when he passed away in 2001. He loved it out there.

Wow, It would take me 23 hours to drive there. Only about 6 hours for you.

Thomas H

Bibsoutdoors
Hey! You all got the Black Hills. My father-in-law always talked about the Black Hills. He was a huge Harley motorcycle man. Ya know wellington boots, chaps, big belly, long beard and a rebel with out a clue. He bought a brand new Road King hog when he retired in 95, and it had 96,000 miles on it when he passed away in 2001. He loved it out there.

Wow, It would take me 23 hours to drive there. Only about 6 hours for you.

YOUR GRANDPA PUT 96,000 MILES ON A BIKE OVER 6 YEARS?!! That's an aderage of 16,000 miles a year i only average 7,000 a year in my Jeep. WOW, that was one serious man! Maybe I should learn by his example. You mentioned it would only take 6 hours for me to drive to the hills, that's a goodly distance when your intent is to just get away for a few days. I know you don't have to drive anything even close to that where you live. Yes, the Hills are beautiful and so is your neck of the woods! Only real advantage I have living here over where you live is the lack of deadly creatures. You have, Copperheads, cotton mouths, rattle snakes (3 different kinds!), coral snakes, alligators, bears, sharks, mountain lions, brown recluse spiders, vampires and werewolves just to name a few. We have an occasional sighting of a mountain lion and almost as rare, rattle snakes. You're a tough breed of people out there! Lol!

Roybrew

The Vampires aren't to bad, I take a garlic supplement. Them Warewolves are a different story. Especially the Italian ones they like the taste of garlic.

Snakes, uhn I don't care much for them. That's the only thing about primitive camping on the river Islands. Lots of brush and debris get washed up on them, and you don't know what slithery critter might be sliding around.IMG_20210626_154844679~2.jpg