Hashbrown Casserole for Breakfast

Penelope

Here is a really easy camping recipe that is great for breakfast. Prep time is only 5 minutes and cook time is only 30.

For 6 servings, you will need:

• A bag of shredded hash browns
• 6 eggs (beaten)
• 1/4 cup diced onion,
• 1 pound of pre-cooked sausage (chopped)
• Seasoning salt
• 1 ½ cups of cheddar cheese
• Cooking spray
• Butter (3 tbsp)
• Aluminum foil cooking bag

1. Spray the foil cooking bag with the cooking spray and sprinkle it with seasoning salt.
2. Put in two tablespoons of butter.
3. Open the hash browns and pour the beaten eggs, diced onions and chopped sausage into the hash brown bag.
4. Mix it all together by squeezing.
5. Pour the mixture into the foil bag and squeeze to spread it out.
6. Put the last tablespoon of butter on top and add a bit more seasoning and a little pepper.
7. Now put the aluminum-cooking bag on your already heated grill on medium heat.
8. Turn the bag every five minutes,
9. Once the bag starts to puff up you can check to see if it is done.
:tinysmile_fatgrin_t
Enjoy!

mamabear

This sounds really good Penelope. I've had something similar from the oven but never thought about cooking it on the grill or in a dutch oven like Hikenhunter suggests. It's a very hearty breakfast and keeps you warm on that first long hike.

Penelope

Go ahead and add the garlic dinosaur! I bet that would be yummy. I am sure you can cook it in a Dutch oven. A friend of mine makes a variation of this in her oven. She uses a casserole dish that she sprays with butter-flavored cooking spray. She cooks it at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes (or until it is brown on top).

Cappy

Peg is a wizard at the black iron breakfast we call camp eggs. They usually always have peppers, onions, mushrooms, cheese, Cajun seasoning. Then most always some form of potatoes from Tots, hash browns french fries, home fries, and left over meat from supper. Fried or smoked fish chicken or steak, etc what ever is left over. Boiled seafood, or even left over weenies, in other words any thing goes. The art is in the combination. Any combination of the above ingredients dont nessirally work and too many can be overkill. Peggy has elivated our camp eggs to an art form:tinysmile_shy_t:

dinosaur

troublemaker
Cappy, that's a fritatta. Of course, Italians use noodles instead of potatoes or rice but that's the only difference.

Greatoutdoors

Don't know how I've missed this recipe before, and I would probably have to add bacon along with the sausage and possibly a little jalapeno....Yummy!

Blueskyy

This looks like breakfast tomorrow morning to me! my kids love potatoes and eggs so I know that this will be a big hit with my family!

TakeAHike

Peg is a wizard at the black iron breakfast we call camp eggs. They usually always have peppers, onions, mushrooms, cheese, Cajun seasoning. Then most always some form of potatoes from Tots, hash browns french fries, home fries, and left over meat from supper. Fried or smoked fish chicken or steak, etc what ever is left over. Boiled seafood, or even left over weenies, in other words any thing goes. The art is in the combination. Any combination of the above ingredients dont nessirally work and too many can be overkill. Peggy has elivated our camp eggs to an art form:tinysmile_shy_t:
Cappy, this is exactly how I do it in the mornings too. I toss in whatever meats were leftover from the night before. I like it when there are leftover brats to toss in.

KylieBoK

Breakfast Casserole
From - Sheena Collins - Dog Country Kennels, Edgerton, MO

prepare most of it the night before - then finish preparing and bake the next morning

Ingredients:
2 1/2 C. Herb Croutons
2 C. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 1/2 lbs. Sausage, brown and drain
4 large Eggs
2 C. Milk
3/4 tsp. Dry Mustard

1 10 oz. can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 C. Milk

Night before:
Place croutans in the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Add cheese and sausage evenly over croutons. In seperate bowl, beat eggs with 2 C. milk and dry mustard. Pour evenly over sausage and croutons. Let set overnight in refrigerator.

Next morning:
Before baking, dilute cream of mushroom soup with 1 C. of milk. Pour evenly over egg mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 min.
If you are a cheese lover sprinkle more shredded cheese on top just as it comes out of the oven.
Let it cool for about 5-10 minutes before serving. ENJOY

ppine

Forester
Sometimes breakfast is what you want no matter what time it is. After a hard day of hunting like in the snow, or slogging along with a pack string in the rain all day, breakfast always sounds good to me. The above recipes sound great, and I enjoy making those types of meals. Sometimes when you are really tired a bunch of eggs with whatever you have like a can of Spam, some onions seems like the best meal in the world.