High Uintas Wilderness Trek

Grandpa

Just returned from a nice six day, 52 mile trek in Utah's biggest wilderness, the High Uintas. Grandson Colton came along as well as friends from California, Brenda and her two daughters Liz and Maxine. Of course we can't leave out Brenda's faithful lab, Oscar.

Backpacking from beautiful alpine lake to alpine lake, our trails took us to just a few feet shy of 11,000 feet above sea level, through pine forests, amid numereous animal sightings, snow drift crossings, and great fishing.

Moose, elk, and mule deer were all frequent visitors to our party throughout the hike. We even saw a few bunches of antelope on the drive out of the area. Marmots barking their warning whistles gave Oscar fits as he so wanted to leave the trail and find them.

We did get some very "fresh breezes" a couple of nights as the temps dipped well below freezing. Key is leave a little water in the pot so it can be boiled first thing in the morning to thaw the rest of the water.

I created an album of pictures in "Grandpa's Albums" section, but here are a couple of views we enjoyed.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

And even as we were in the cars leaving the Trailhead Parking area, A nice Bull Moose, stepped out of the timber to feed and give us one last awe inspiring moment.

[/IMG]

Grandpa

Not much to tell Ppine. This sighting occured right at the Christmas Meadows trailhead parking lot. We had said our goodbys as we would be leaving in opposite directions. I started driving away and out stepped the moose. I stopped, ran back to the other car and told them as they were still getting settled in. The moose just went into the meadow and started grazing. Moose are common sights for grandson and I but it was a huge thrill for the girls. Grandson also ran into a cow moose earlier in the week. Knowing the danger, he back away and came back to camp. This very well could be the same young bull I saw last year at the same TH.

An even bigger thrill for us was two bull elk. We had just waded a stream by a large alpine meadow and were eating our lunch as our feet dried. Just as we finished eating, Colton noticed the two elk, about 75 feet away, just staring at us. Both were good size with velvet antlers about six inches past the ears. At Coltons warning, both elk spun and went back into the timber so I couldn't tell you much more than what that original mental picture showed me.

mamabear

Grandpa, it sounds like you were in your element on that hike. I do hope you took lots of pictures. For some reason I can't see the one you posted here. At some point in my life I want to do something similar in Montana. That kind of wilderness and open space has always been intriguing to me. Glad you had a great time.

Grandpa

Mamabear, just click on my name at the left and it will take you to my page. scroll down to my albums and you can see the whole series that I posted.

Reed

Sounds like a lot of fun Grandpa. There's a lot of wide open country in the west to explore and I have more than just a few locations on my bucket list.