How Big is Your House?

Grandpa

What is your preference for a "house" when backpacking? Bivy sack, solo tent, roomier 2 man? or do you pack a hotel?

Gone are the summer days when I was content to throw a tarp on the ground and go to sleep. Now, many women are enjoying the trek, so modesty dictates I have some place for changing clothes or undressing for bed. My backpacking has also taken me into more snake country and I do not like sharing my sougans with snakes or other creepy crawlys. I first started carrying a small solo tent about 15 years ago but one night in a mosquito infested meadow and with an empty bug juice puffer, I decided eating supper in a tube tent just wasn't my idea of fun. I now prefer carrying a 2 man, giving both myself and my big lab buddy room to move around a bit.

What's your favorite?

bsmit212

I started off with a solo tent. I then discovered hammock camping, but I still use the solo tent when the temps get low.

However, it is getting time for me to upgrade my tent for when I use it. We already have 1 80 lb dog, we just got a new puppy a few weeks ago that will be about the same size. I could fit the one in the solo tent with me, don't think I will be able to fit two. Plus I also currently have a 2 year old, and a new one coming in July so when they start coming out with me then I will also need more room.

Cappy

In my back packing days back in the 70's I used a jungle hammock. The thing was army surplus canvas and heavy by todays standards it had a roof mosquito net sides and a canvas hammock. In it I rolled a sheet army blanket and small pillow. When not between trees I parked it on a soft spot on the ground and cut some small stakes and 2 short poles to hold the top up. It then became like a tube tent. When canoeing I used a 2 man pup tent. Later in the 80's I got a 10 ft by 10 ft dome tent by Hillery, back then they made very good tents and our daughter still uses it. That was in my 4 wheel drive pick up stage of camping. What yall call base camping. Where ya park in the middle of where ya want to explore, fish, hunt etc. and make a series of day trips operating out of the dome tent. As yall know it rains lots down here and the tent is big enough for a couple bags or cots and a small table and a couple chairs. If ya gonna get rained in its nice to have a place to move around like grandpa said. No fun laying in a hammock during a 18 hour rain. Later in life when getting up offn the ground 2 or 3 times a night becme to be less fun I opted for a pop up that I rigged for off roading. Still later it got too hard for Peggy to crank up the pop up so we got our little ultra light camper. its 18 ft long and she feels comfortable pulling it. So I have been through all stages. The one I like best......... the one I can comfortably do. Or should I say the one I am doing at the time.