How big is your tent?

plsargent

My husband is 6'4 and he will not buy a tent he. can't stand up in. So needless to say our tents are always big and costly. But we are a family of five, plus a dog so we do kind of need the room.

Gunny Webb

Outdoor Member
I have a Eureka Sunrise 11 by 11. Easy to set up with two people-10 minutes. Best part is the 8 feet tall inside, and well vented. Just did 4 nights in the smokies in it. Great tent!

shaun

My tent is small, there is enough room for two people, three would be a squeeze. The tent is 8ft by 8ft. I don't need a bigger tent because I only go camping with my son, my girlfriend hates camping.

bsmit212

I have a basic Colman dome tent, not sure which model. I am also 6'4 and I am able to stand up in the middle to change and what not. They are not that expensive. Now I probably won't fit a family of 5 + dog, but when we went camping as kids my parents would have their tent and the kids had their. So depending on how much your current tents are, might be able to save a bit getting two less expensive tents and most camps sites will allow 2 tents per site.

ppine

Forester
The canvas wall tent is 14' x 10 ' with 8 1/2' of headroom, the canvas Baker tent is 8' x10', 4 man dome tent has headroom of 6'8", 2 man backpacking tent is small. Tarps can be set up to walk under or low for a storm.

Sometimes when you have to carry stuff in a pack or on a portage it makes sense to compromise on the headroom.

Last edited:

FlanneryCam

I have a few tents.

My 2-person is light and meant for my canoe trips. It's easy to carry, fits in my trekking bag, and fits the two of us who fit in the canoe.

I have a 4-person for camping at campsites we drive to and a 10-person for weekends, backyard sleepovers, etc.

Yab9

My tent is rather small. It's a 2 person tent, my girlfriend and I fit perfectly in it. I usually go camping in the summer so a big tent would mean I'd need more space to set it up and also bigger fees in some places.

LunaticFringeInc

I have a Ozark 9x7 Dome tent that I purchased. It seems to be fairly roomy for one or a intimate couple but I wouldnt want anything smaller. Its designed to be set up by two people, unfortunately I am usually alone. So far I have managed pretty well despite, although it sometimes test me.

little billy

soon to have 13.5 x 9.5 eureka titan. we sleep 3 (one queen air bed and one playpen for my 1 yo son) plus gear and a card table. I dont rough it per se, I want comfort.

alvin65

I bought a Kodiak 14x10 five months ago and it is a very good for me. Our youth club has the springbar and they are more cash than the Kodiak. I think the Kodiak has them defeat.

ChadTower

These days it's all car camping for me and my family. There are four of us so we have a 5 person dome tent. I can stand up in the center of it and I'm just under 6'.

I think this tent needs to be replaced, though, with a tougher model. It is a decent tent but given some of the nasty rainstorms we had last year we need to upgrade.

golf1here

We have a Standing Room 100 Tent. It is 10x10 with almost 9' of head room! It goes up in a snap and was relatively inexpensive. I think maybe $139 from Amazon. Enough room for a queen size air mattress a table and two chairs with still enough room to walk around!

Attachments

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
My husband is 6'4 and he will not buy a tent he. can't stand up in. So needless to say our tents are always big and costly. But we are a family of five, plus a dog so we do kind of need the room.
My tent is a hammock. I cant stand up in it, but if I pitch the tarp high enough, I can stand under it... pack my pack, cook my food, etc.

mi77915

I have a 2 person tent, since I usually got camping with friends, we all have our own. It's big enough for me and my gear. It's an REI Passage 2, great tent.

jbuffethed

Our newest tent is a 10x12 Eureka we got on clearance at Dick's. It's huge and over 6ft in the center. We use that when the while family goes. Also have a cheap 2 person 7x7. I recently bought a Magellan 1 person at Academy for $25 for backpacking.

Dannytoo

I have a Copper canyon 6, 6 person tent with a 7 foot + center. I am 6 foot and have to use my full reach to touch the center. It is very easy tower up I can do that by myself. Also the sides are strat wall so the top never touch my head. I car camp only.

ddbck

Check out Grizzly Dave's out of Colorado Springs. They are awesome canvass tents with a bottom made of very heavy rubber raft material it extends up the side of the tent about 8in so the bottom is water/rain proof. We have set ours up in the snow before. They have different size tents. I think mine was 8x12. With a buddy heater in it you could sleepin very cold climates.

Last edited: