I don't even know where to start - Cabin rentals

eeloheel

I am by nature a primitive camper. Mostly because I hate to deal with the hassle of having to reserve things, deal with people, etc. I just a few years ago started camping, and go out once or twice a year to different wilderness areas and just take a tent and some oatmeal and enjoy nature for a few days.

But this year, we're going on a honeymoon. And my significant other can barely tolerate my few days of laying in the woods, let alone a week. So I thought to myself "Hey, we'll get a cabin. Just a wood box in the woods, nothing else. It'll be cheap and easy and we both win."

... I am seriously struggling to find anything like this, and can't figure out if they don't exist or if I just am not looking in the right place. All I am finding is luxury cabins, things that cost $100+ a night. I just want a shack in the woods.

We're looking around the Cohutta national forest area, but areas north of that are ok too. We're going from Toledo and our cap for driving range is about 15 hours. Someone help me out there. Either tell me what I need to be looking for, or throw me some first-hand experiences. As much as I love to just grab a tent and lay in the woods, I want this trip to be enjoyable for BOTH of us. I just can't find anything!

Thanks.

ppine

Forester
Where are you looking? Simple cabins are all that exist in some places.
I have no idea where Cohutta NF is.
Try northern Wisconsin, Michigan UP or Minnesotta.

eeloheel

I'm looking at any of the Smokey Mountain forests right now, since we want something a little more mountainous. Since we're going in May, I figure we have better chances of good weather further south so that's why it's the primary focus, though not set in stone.

Thanks Grandpa, I will check that out! An old ranger cabin sounds pretty cool!

TakeAHike

I think that most of the National Forests have rustic cabins for rent. There is one state park in upstate New York that I know from experience has rustic cabins in the middle of nowhere. They were about $30 a night. It's called Letchworth. They have some great hiking too and the scenery is amazing.

carmen

We have always had a hard time renting too but that is only because my better half can not always make his mind up. Are you looking for anything extravagant? I know a friend that rents a few times a year and might be able to ask her what would work best for ya.

eeloheel

Have you tried checking out (link)
That is EXACTLY what I am looking for, it's perfect! I'm going to look in to the area and see if I like it. :) Thank you so much!

Cappy, those are all the same things I was pulling up on google, all luxury cabins and over $100 a night, not what I was hoping for at all. After a fairly extensive google search, I had no luck finding non-luxury.

Greatoutdoors

I hope you find what you are looking for eeloheel! Such a shame that when you Google mountain cabin everything that comes up is a luxury cabin with hot tubs, and Wi-Fi. Whatever happened to "getting away from it all"?

Grandpa

There is an old but well maintained non-electric USFS guard station a few miles from here. I just checked with reserve.usa and it is $40 dollars a night. The last time I was in it they had iron cots and mattresses and a wood stove. It is off the main dirt road a couple hundred yards and has access to an entire mountain range behind it with numerous 4 wheeler and hiking trails and also has a small trout stream running through the fenced in area. These old guard cabins are scattered throughout the National Forests from the days before instant communication and helicopters.

EmberMike

...But this year, we're going on a honeymoon. And my significant other can barely tolerate my few days of laying in the woods, let alone a week...

...I just want a shack in the woods...
Your significant other is quite a catch if they're willing to tolerate even a shack in the woods for a honeymoon. :)

BGreen

We have stayed in Pigeon Forge and around that area. Even the expensive rooms are a bit primitive. It can be a congested area, too. One thing I would not miss, however, but I don't know how close a cabin rental might be, is Cade's Cove. It's with an hour's drive of Pigeon Forge and worth every minute of the drive.

Scotty

Watch about going to the Smokies! There's a huge fire right now that has taken out at least 65 structures with most of them being rental cabins. Those were right on top of each other though. However, they don't have the fire contained yet and it's burned quite a bit of acreage. Read my thread topic here. I've included a link to the local Knoxville paper in that thread.