ID Old Time Fiddlers Contest

ppine

Forester
Just returned from a week long trip to Weiser, ID in search of my youth. I used to go to Fiddle Week in the 1970s and it was a wild festival with lots of bikers, hippies, and alternative lifestyle people as well as hillbillies.

My girl is a great musician and played the violin for a 8 years as a kid. We enjoyed the music greatly, but the town and the event have changed a lot. Now it is kind of a geezer fest with lots of families and small kids. The crowd was fine, just not what I expected. We took the travel trailer and three dogs across eastern Oregon which was in bloom and beautiful.

I spent my birthday in the Wild Plum Winery then ate crab cocktails at Goose Lake. All in all a fine trip, but proof that we cannot recapture the adventures of youth.

mamabear

Have you ever heard of the Fiddlers Conventions in western North Carolina? Actually, there are several. Just Google "Fiddlers Convention, NC" and it will give you links to each one. They may not be as fancy as the one in ID, but you sure will hear some good "Fiddlin.'"

Birddog

Just returned from a week long trip to Weiser, ID in search of my youth. I used to go to Fiddle Week in the 1970s and it was a wild festival with lots of bikers, hippies, and alternative lifestyle people as well as hillbillies.

My girl is a great musician and played the violin for a 8 years as a kid. We enjoyed the music greatly, but the town and the event have changed a lot. Now it is kind of a geezer fest with lots of families and small kids. The crowd was fine, just not what I expected. We took the travel trailer and three dogs across eastern Oregon which was in bloom and beautiful.

I spent my birthday in the Wild Plum Winery then ate crab cocktails at Goose Lake. All in all a fine trip, but proof that we cannot recapture the adventures of youth.
I used to live in Galax,va back in the mid '70's and remember the Galax Fiddlers convention there,I know it's still an annual event.