If you plan to 3-day backpacking, what do you need?

outdoor-lisa

My list
  1. bike
  2. backpack
  3. tent
  4. water bottle
  5. smartphone and charger
  6. Outdoor tableware
  7. sunglasses, hats, Navigator(probably)
  8. food, which you need to keep health and energy
  9. clothes that are waterproof.
  10. First Aid Kit
Anything else?

Northern Dancer

....looking pretty good "outdoor-lisa".

...lighting [headlight or flashlight]?
...cooking utensils and mess kit?
...toiletries and meds?
...a book?
...appropriate sleeping bag?
...umbrella?
...tire repair kit?

just sayin.

ppine

Forester
You don't need a bike.
All you really need is a sleeping bag, some food and water and a plan, maybe a tarp.
Everything else are luxury items.
The most important things are the ones you leave out.

Thomas H

Bibsoutdoors
To continue off of N Dancers list,
Consider;
duct tape (not the entire roll)(a good brand)
A small bike repair kit
A spork, you can eat out of your food preparation containers (this might save some weight in carrying dishes, silverware etc.)
You are carrying water this is good, consider kool-aid or something to drink besides just water. Makes for a more pleasant stop over. After beating the pedals all day, gives you something to look forward to.
If you will be traversing any motorized roads, consider some kind of reflective vest.

Most importantly ENJOY YOURSELF! Have fun!

Roybrew

That sounds like fun. I've heard a lot of old rail lines are getting converted to green belts and pedestrian trails. We've got a few in this area. They aren't connected, but close enough to make for a good trip. My rear end couldn't take it though, I'm to fat.

That sounds like it would be fun. You've obviously done some research into this. All I have to add is carry something for your posterior end. I think hikers used something like Skin Glide?? If you get chaffed it's not a laughing matter.

One thing for sure, if you have the time and opportunity to do this, go for it. Don't put it off because of frivolous reasons. Please stay in touch.
Roy

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

outdoor-lisa

You don't need a bike.
All you really need is a sleeping bag, some food and water and a plan, maybe a tarp.
Everything else are luxury items.
The most important things are the ones you leave out.
I like the last one.

ppine

Forester
I don't make spread sheets. I don't make lists. If I leave something out, it is an opportunity to figure out a way around it.
The more skill you have the less you need.
I like watching Naked and Afraid and those kind of shows because skilled people get by with little equipment. Just having modern clothes and some food changes everything. I want my time outdoors to be simple and dependable. No electronics, usually no books, etc. Keep it simple.

Northern Dancer

...well then again, it's all about personal choice and style. I kinda like variety and have camped/canoed using different styles. I have done absolute necessities, with homemade recipes with no thrills. We can move faster, packs are lighter.

Example

3259 This, as opposed to 3260 This 1641833705548.png instead of 1641833781328.png and so on.

I differentiate "tripping" and "base camp". I also have several tents to meet the particular challenge that I might face. AND, my 16-foot canoe weighs 42 pounds but can take 800 pounds of cargo.

You are right about having the experience. What we learn because of experience certainly tapers our thought process. I make all kinds of lists - not that it is really necessary anymore - I just do it for fun. I'm about 90% packed all the time. It doesn't take much time to execute and I'm always geared to go.

Where are you "outdoor - lisa", are we driving you nuts? :Yield: