Inexpensive Compact Summer Sleeping Bag Mini Review

maxx

Now this is not great for really cold weather but it is small and Cheap. Combined with a space blanket could make a big difference.

http://imgur.com/1R7YhYQ

Nature Hike LW180 Sleeping Bag

What the bag says about itself:
Temperature Rating: Limit (Survival?): 9 C About 48 F Comfort 15 C About 60 F
Size: 190 x75 cm about 74 inches x 29 inches
Weight 680 grams about 24 oz (1 lb 8 oz)
Packed Size uncompressed (Measured) 12 inches x 6 inch

Review
This is a very packable, very light sleeping bag. I have tried it out in the living room, and it is a bit tight around the shoulders for me. I am 5’ 10” 210 pounds. I had a woman try the bag, she is 5’ 2” and a size 7 and she thought it was a nice size.
I have not used it outside but the temperature rating seems very realistic. The zipper works well, but as with anything made with a lightweight synthetic fabric you have to pay attention so that the fabric does not get caught in the zipper.

Conclusion

I think this would be a great summer bag for people that are not quite as broad shouldered (23 inches) as me. It is very light and compact. The other application Iwould use this bag for is toss in an earthquake kit or your regional equivalent to an earthquake kit.
I got this from:
http://www.gearbest.com/camping/pp_153703.html
If anyone has any questions about this bag that I can help with let me know.
Also if any of you have any ideas to make these reviews better, please let me know.

Grandpa

Well, the price is right. As you said, too narrow for me. My 30" is hard to zip and unzip for my size.

Grandpa

Welcome to the OBC forums Maxx. Gear reviews are much appreciated s pull a log up to the fire and chat a spell.

Simplify

I have had that same type of sleeping bag for about a year now. This past weekend it was put to a test that I didn't expect. I had gone up to Flagstaff for a weekend hiking and it hailed and snowed while I was there, which was a surprise. I had brought my summer sleeping bag with me and, surprisingly, I slept ok in it while it was snowing outside. It wasn't total comfort but it was ok.

Those bags are an excellent space saver. One idea is to put them inside of a bivy sack also for a little extra R-value.

maxx

I was thinking about one of those sol Bivies for it. And I thought about using it as a liner for my 20 degree bag if it got really cold.

Grandpa

I played the bag guessing game for a lot of years but when a new local sporting goods store opened, and I got a 30% off coupon, I ponied up and went for the down. I had decided I wanted either Marmot's Helium 15, Mt. Hardware phantom 15, or the Western Mountaineering 15. The store was carrying Mt Hardware so that is the bag I ordered since I got the $120 off. Two pounds, slightly larger than a loaf of bread, with an EN comfort rating of 22*. I have had to zip it all the way up just once in about 50 nights out so far. Yet, seldom too hot when used as a blanket.

I do like your idea of using two bags though. I have been doing that most of my life. Just make sure the outer bag is big enough to stay lofted up.

I won a bag on the internet this winter, ('Teton Sports Celsius 0 XXL) I wasn't sure just how that 0* rating held so on a winter campout this winter I double bagged with a known good bag. The results were after about 5 minutes, I was out of the inner bag and just used the new one over me. The temp got down to about 10* that night but with all the insulation under me, I was comfy.

However, economics still says the bag Maxx reviewed coupled with a heavier bag will get you through most any condition for a lot less money. On the other hand, I just heard from an old backpacking pal who is in the process of spending $700 to shave 6 pounds off his pack weight. It's all about the balance between saving your back vs saving your checkbook.

Last edited: