Insomnia

JeepThrills

I am a night owl and have been for years. Unfortunately, a work project I just started requires me to start at an earlier time of the day. I've adjusted my going to bed and getting up time, but I'm not sleeping. I've gotten maybe three hours of sleep for the last two nights. Does anyone have any natural sleep remedies besides Melatonin?

Cappy

My wife Peg says, "Pair it with inositol, and drink them down with Natural CALM, by Natural Vitality. It's an anti-stress drink. Kind of sour lemony fizzy, but not sweet. Make sure to take your B vitamins and also fish oil capsuls. It's what I take about half an hour before bed. It might take a couple of days to work it out; how you take them and how much, but MAN! What a relief to be able to fall asleep like a little kid! Before I found this combination, I thought I'd lose my mind from so little sleep".

Peg typed all that in for me, and now she is havin no problem sleeping. What helps me when I'm stressed out and not sleeping is what us cajuns call a toddy. yall may call it a night cap. A couple shots of dark rum simple syrup and a shot of lemon juice in a tall glass.

wvbreamfisherman

A beer before bedtime helps me if I'm tensed up or wired. Melatonin helped me get my sleep pattern reregulated a few years back when I got out of whack after a long haz-mat team response to a train wreck.

Gondor

Sleep is the best cure in your case. I know because I've been know to have sessions like that and they are no fun, I can tell you that.

JeepThrills

My wife Peg says, "Pair it with inositol, and drink them down with Natural CALM, by Natural Vitality. It's an anti-stress drink. Kind of sour lemony fizzy, but not sweet. Make sure to take your B vitamins and also fish oil capsuls. It's what I take about half an hour before bed. It might take a couple of days to work it out; how you take them and how much, but MAN! What a relief to be able to fall asleep like a little kid! Before I found this combination, I thought I'd lose my mind from so little sleep".

Peg typed all that in for me, and now she is havin no problem sleeping. What helps me when I'm stressed out and not sleeping is what us cajuns call a toddy. yall may call it a night cap. A couple shots of dark rum simple syrup and a shot of lemon juice in a tall glass.
Thanks for the information. Where do you get Natural Calm? I slipped up last night and got to bed later than I had planned. Now, I'm really messed up.

Cappy

Peg says ya get it either on line or a health food store like whole foods or a vitamin store. I usually aint home when she gets it. But i guarantee ya it really helps her sleep. Afters years on boats working 6 hour shifts around the clock and sleeping over noisy engines in a 3 ft swell I think I could sleep any time anywhere and do sometimes. Thanks to years of condition ing I lay down day or night and toss and turn for like 2 minutes. :-D

bsmit212

Look into tea. I sometimes use Celestial Seasonings Sleepy Time Tea, I get it from Kroger, and they also have a Sleepy Time Extra that is a little stronger that works well.

valerian root is another option that I have used before. I found a bottle at local CVS.

carmen

Many teas will help with this, personally Sleepy Time Tea is a favorite of mine during any time of day. I hate the idea of sleeping pills but I have taken them before on the really bad days. Remember it will take your body (and mind) a bit to get used to a new sleeping time too.

oldsarge

I've used Melatonin tea with a shot of whiskey in it. Normally I don't suffer from more than a couple nights with insomnia and that is not very often. Usually on the second day I'll try and get in a good workout in the late afternoon, wait a bit then eat and have a hot shower to relax. Maybe even soak a bit in the tub. I can't ever recall missing more than two nights of good sleep.

campclose

Lavender! Spray some in your room prior to going to bed. Be sure it's nice and dark and quiet too in your room. I do agree that a good hot soak in the bathtub will help too. I don't drink teas.

Boboque

Good advice Cappy. I will have to try that. I'm a natural night owl worked midnight shift for several years. It really messed my sleep pattern up and it took quite a while to get back to any kind of schedule.

I HAVE found, if I get into a routine and do EXACTLY the same things starting about an hour before bedtime, it gets me into a better sleep routine. But there are still those nights when I still cannot sleep.