...Just checked out a low-heat dehydrated food website...

Pathfinder1

Hi...

I just tried out a low-heat dehydrated food web site www.patriotssupply.com and it has some interesting sounding items. Like their 16-serving (four mylar pouches @ four cups cooked each) with a shelf life of 25-years. $17.95.

Boiling/simmering times were advertised at from 15- to 20-minutes.

Has anyone tried these? I'm going to ask them for a sample so that I can evaluate it and get back to you.

Gondor

The link does not work. Anyways, I would like to check these because I'm still looking for the most reliable, best tasting, long lasting and easy of carry dehydrated foods.

Greatoutdoors

I haven't tried them personally, but some friends of ours have and they really liked them. Usually places like this will have a sample package so you can try different things before you buy a big order.

Last edited:

Grandpa

I need a change from Mt House and my own cooking so I'm anxious to hear your report Pathfinder1. Thanks

wvbreamfisherman

I have a book someplace about making meals and then dehydrating the cooked meal in a food dehydrator. I'll see if i can find it and post a link to it on Amazon.

haven't tried any of the numerous recipes in it, but it looks very intriguing. Don't see why you couldn't vacuum pack them and keep them around for a good while...not 25 years though (unless you put them in liquid Nitrogen, or processed them with Gamma radiation after they were sealed.).

RingTwist

Where are they located? The failure to reply could be related to Hurricane Sandy, especially since they advertise a quicker response time.

If you order any, let us know how it is.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

The order taker I spoke with after hours was in Indiana. He gave me their e-mail address and stated that the owner checks and answers it personally.

I might...as much as I hate to :tinysmile_twink_t2: ...order their 'sampler pack'.

If/when I do, I'll keep everyone posted.

Cappy

I just called them on the phone and they sounded ok. I was inquiring about their glutin free products, if any of yall are celiacs beware, their glutin free products about half of them are processed on contaminated equipment. If you click the pictures of the food it brings up the nutrician info. The food may not contain glutin but still can cause a serious celiac reaction if made in a facility that also processes glutin. Peg is a celiac and has to live glutin free. So we are schooled inthese things. If any one else has this problem be sure and check ingredients dont just assume its safe cause it says so.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Well, seven days later, I FINALLY heard back from mypatriotsupply.com regarding my request for a sample of their product to try and evaluate. They told me that they get too many such requests to comply with mine.

I guess I'll have to purchase one of their 'sample' packs in order to follow through. :tinysmile_cry_t3:

troutstalker

I was hooked on Mtn. House foods which are very good. Because of the cost I dehydrate my own meals. A 24 ounce jar of marinara dehydrates down to about 5 ounces. I use angel hair pasta because it cooks faster. I also just dehydrated hamburger,peppers,onions,peas and carrots,mushrooms,corn,a can of bourbon and brown sugar grillin" beans. I also dehydrated apple sauce. I plan on making sheperds pie other recipes I can find. I save weight and money. I also am going to experiment with Bloody Mary mix!

Theo

eyebp's mentor
I, too, found the food to be less than appetizing despite reviews saying how good they taste.

I would put them in the same category as the Datrex/Mainstay ration bars. They are edible and have a very long shelf life.

mhmcgrath

MREs - multi foods in each and positive psych items. Proven and tough. Good fail safe backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denni2

I purchase freeze dried food from https://www.packitgourmet.com/ and put together my own recipes. We eat very little salt. Most of the food is decent and we can season it to our own tastes. We haven’t tried the pre-prepared food. I started with recipes from http://blog.trailcooking.com/ but it is really easy to prepare meals just like I do at home.
We do this because we hate worrying about ice for the cooler. So more time outdoors.