Magic Fishing Trip Nov 13-14

ppine

Forester
We have had some unusually warm days so I headed out to a great fishing lake with my new best dog Bert. Took the boat and marvelled at how quiet everything was. Campgrounds closed, boat ramps closed, even the private campground at the lake was closed on tues and wed.

The low angle sun on the water lit up the golden grasses and green of the ponderosa pines. I found one boat ramp that was still operating and went out and could see no other boats. Trolled for two hours before the wind came up and got an 18 inch rainbow and couple of 15 inchers in the boat. At the boat ramp I met a nice retired couple. We talked fishing, I asked them if they wanted to join me in a drink of really good Canadian Whiskey. We used the bow of the boat as a bar as the sun got really low on the horizon. We toasted my dog Bonnie that passed last Sat nite, a Border Collie of 16 years.

Found the only open campground and shared it with two other people. The moon was full with shadows dancing through the tall forest. The coyotes were howling like wolves, not like the yipping and calling around here. The nights are dark and cold now, but Bert and I were snug in the back of the truck with a canopy on it. Ol canvas bedroll with feathers and wool blankets.

I went back out the today and met some more nice people. One guy had a 1962 Thompson power boat made of mahogany with a newer 4 stroke motor. Another guy helped me launch, which has never happened before. This time of year the experienced people are in the outdoors. I caught a 19 inch rainbow male in spawning colors and put him back. Bert and I took the long way home through the woods. I was in church the whole time. Were we gone for 2 days or a week?