Mountain lion stalks campers

Pathfinder1

Hi...

In the July 27 Missoulian (.com) there is an article about a mountain lion stalking campers at Blackfoot Valley lake. The lion did not attack as most would when a young child runs, but also could not be scared away by five adults shouting and throwing things at it.

Grandpa

Might be an old timer running short of teeth looking for an easy meal. Strange if it didn't attack a running child unless it felt threatened by adults or dogs in the area. The big cats usually don't show themselves unless they are incapacitated some way by age or injury.

Lorax

There's times we enter the woods and waters and have to remind ourselves that at that those particular times, we are not quite the top of the old food chain.

Got to learn to respect that.

TroyS

There's times we enter the woods and waters and have to remind ourselves that at that those particular times, we are not quite the top of the old food chain.

Got to learn to respect that.
Completely agree with you Lorax. A lot of those hiking should be more aware when they go around, no matter how much they say the area is safe. It is still the outdoors, and there are still animals out there both cute and friendly and those that are just plain nasty.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

I've read more than once where mountain lion meat was fine tasting. One person who said that was Ben Lily, of course (Google if unfamiliar).

Take care, take care, take care of what you've got. Some day you're gonna miss it...miss it quite a lot.

RingTwist

I would not want to run into a mountain lion! It must've been scary when the adults couldn't scare it off.

I wouldn't mind tasting one though.

Boboque

You really do have to alter your mind set when you get into the wild. When you see rock pythons at 15 foot long and alligators that could eat you whole, you don't want to go in thinking that you can just walk up to them and pet them. Animals are wild and always unpredictable, even domestic animals can be unpredictable at times.

dinosaur

troublemaker
To quote Dorothy from The Wizard Of OZ: Lions and tigers and bears, Oh My!

Yes I respect dangerous animals. But I'm still the most dangerous animal in the wild. Sounds like time for a barbeque to me.

ppine

Forester
Sweetest meat on the mountain. I had some that had been in the freezer more than a couple of years and it was still good. It was my old next door neighbor on Camano Is, WA that grew up in Newhalem at the end of the road.

Last edited:

Marshmallow

When people say things like certain creatures "usually don't," that's the time for me to be even more cautious. I'd hate for me or mine, or anyone, to be on the wrong side of the "usually don't." "Usually" doesn't cut it with this gal.

Grandpa

If I'd have said usually do, would you be less cautious? Caution is always number one when in the animals back yard. Knowing their habits helps to make wise decisions which is probably why this old cat was spotted. If caution is replaced by fear, it is best to abort and go somewhere else.