New Life

eco-lite

Flatlander
Looking to drop out and disappear for a while.
Wow, there is a ton of stuff to read on this forum.
So, here is my introduction

58 years old, single male. who has a habit of hoarding too many possessions and living at work, only heading home to sleep and enjoy a few hours of relaxation.

I am ready to entertain a feeling of freedom and live off the grid for a while.
Serious enough to have purchased a backpack (Kelty 65), a sleeping bag (Ozark Trail 40F Climatech Mummy Sleeping bag) and have cleared a large part of my back yard to practice in. ( I did spend a significant amount of money on assorted gear)
Soon, I will lock up the house and load up the car (2014 Camry).
No idea where I will end up..
Probably ditch the car for a week of two at a time, so I will have to pick out a tent I can carry. (not the 6 Man Cabela's Alaskan Guide Tent I now have)

Camping in the south (Florida, Alabama, Georgia) and plan on all of this happening sometime closer to August (I want to be prepared and ready to go well in advance of that date).
Of course I need advice.. Email me or PM me, I will find time to read and respond (work 60 hours a week).
If you give me links you will be helping me a lot.
Honestly, there are so many places to look on this site and so much I need to read.
Please give me suggestions and links.
I want to travel and live for free, but will consider inexpensive (Primative) camp sites. (That means Cheap). Florida has all of their parks at $16.00 a night (Not cheap). Alabama has quite a few at a much better $8.00 a night. So, help me stay warm and near water. I plan on three months of in the woods, on my own, but not too deep, freedom seeking. Not looking for mountains, but I could be persuaded.. Just waving a hand and saying hello.

ppine

Forester
If I had a lot time on my hands in August I would not be camping in FL,AL or some other hot sticky place. Find some big mountains.

eco-lite

Flatlander
Georgia has some big mountains.. Might try a little one and see how that works.. Thank you for your input.. Argh!! gotta get back to work... Seems like I live here.. I need a vacation!

Cappy

Since ya mention Fla, Al, I would do my summer roaming in the Smokeys. To do what ya talking about cheaply ya gona hafta hobo it. National parks are the easiest to get away with it. Just drive in dont sign anything and go hide for a few days. Smokeys ar full of natural springs and about 20 degrees cooler in the valleys and creek bottoms.

jason

fear no beer
Salutations. How much experience do you have? From the sound of it you are just starting out. I know you talk about a week or two and up to three months at a time. However you may wish to start off slow a weekend perhaps.

Getting outside is great for grounding and relaxing. I think it is great you are willing to give it a go, but I would be careful of biting off more then you can handle at first.

eco-lite

Flatlander
Salutations. How much experience do you have? Getting outside is great for grounding and relaxing. I think it is great you are willing to give it a go, but I would be careful of biting off more then you can handle at first.
Great advice. Boyscouting was an introductionary start-up and many years ago I lived in tents (Some of which were quite large) for weeks at a time. I am not a hunter, nor do I own a gun. The outdoors were easier when I was younger. Now snakes, bears, hunters and coyotes are something I have a greater respect for. The things we take for granted (Like bath rooms, hot showers and the seven-eleven) are another area that I will have to be weened off of. Still, living off of the grid is something I look forward to. The outdoor skills of the past (knot tying, woodland construction, building a Dakota fire hole , toilet paper alternatives, Shaving) are all in need of a bit of practice. Packing what is needed and only what is needed might be hard, but if I park with-in a few miles, I can set up a pretty good sized tent (6 man Alaskian Guide) and tote in quite a bit of water. You are right about being careful. Thank you for reminding me to always be safe and sure.. Practice is something even professional football players do. It has been a while, but I am planning on revisiting my past and although I can not re-live the old experiences, I can create new and safe adventures. The biggest problem is going to be my reliance upon money. Dropping out means going without a job and without an income. Coming back means I will have to re-apply and wait for something to open up.. When I drop out, I know there will be no unemployment coming in.. Living off of the land might end up being my unemployment insurance until something new comes along.

This seems to be going beyond a simple introduction, so I will start a new thread in another area..

Last edited:

Pathfinder1

If I had a lot time on my hands in August I would not be camping in FL,AL or some other hot sticky place. Find some big mountains.
Hi...
That just might be a good idea...unless, of course, one enjoys the heat and humidity...!! Cappy sure seems to enjoy it. But, of course, he gets several 'reprieves' annually while working on his barges at sea...!!

eco-lite

Flatlander
Good luck with your plan, you will need it.
Please expand upon this. What advice would you give? Finding a place to park my car without drawing attention, yet still having access to the contents when needed, is one of my concerns. The fact that I can replenish supplies at local stores (as needed) will help in making my efforts successful. Learning the skills necessary to survive 100% off the grid (hammock, ultra lite pack, constantly on the move, venturing deeper and into more rugged environments), are skills to be gathered over time. Learning how to make and break camp, leaving a small foot print and yet, still be able take my time to explore, enjoying greater comfort with longer stays, packing in gear and equipment along with food, will bring with it an enjoyable element to roughing it. This is one mans experiment in being homeless and yet civilized, not completely abandoning the creature comforts we are all accustomed to. There are certain things I will not carry. There have been a lot of shows that highlight the need for survival skills, but I have not owned a TV in about 40 years, so most of what I know is from what I have been reading on the internet. Help me to reduce my reliance upon luck by handing out some needed experience and point out what is wrong with the plan. I have worked a long time and this is going to cost me a LOT (walking away from a job at a time when the economy appears to be folding inward). I own everything I have outright. Insuring my house for a year is $3,000.00, tags and insurance on my cars, boats, trailers, motorcycles is another $2,000.00, so any time I spend off of the grid will be costing me at least $500.00 a month without an income to fill the bucket. After three months I will be making some decisions as to what to sell, what to keep and whether to restart my career. So, yes, your advice is definitely welcome and your wishes for good luck are also well received. Ultimately we are all surviving and some may even be thriving, but knowing and expanding upon our options while planning for different scenarios seems to be a prudent thing to do. When the time comes, we all may have to make some tough decisions. I would like to make mine based upon experience. The best experiences are those that are shared as stories and given as advice rather than learned by shear luck. Just saying...

BTW, heading to the mountains is a great suggestion. Might start there first and work my way back down as the weather changes.

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
Sell a bunch of your stuff so you don't have to worry about it, or pay registration fees and insurance.
Buy a decent sleeping bag, pad, and a tent that weighs less than 4 pounds.

Find an old dependable car for $1,500 that is beat up that no one will bother with for your bush vehicle instead of a new Camry.

Head West where you will be surrounded by public land that you can camp on for free. That will save you $500 a month. Forget about towns, stores and the internet except for a change of pace once in awhile. Go somewhere out of your comfort zone and learn how other people live. Learn the ways of the critters, the rivers and streams and the forests. Come back a changed man.

eco-lite

Flatlander
Practicing my set-ups in the back yard on the week-ends. Leaning towards a hammock. Bought three backpacks to try out and that will take some weeks to compare. One has 3950 Cubic inches and has an external frame (Kelty Trekker), one is a smaller 3,000 Cubic inches (Explorer B99). One is a day packer (Urban style bag) As I have mentioned in my other posts , I have been testing several different tents (6 man Alaskian Guide tent is my favorite right now for a base camp), but have looked at the ultra light two man tents ($350.00 to $600.00 range).. Selling the house at this point might be a mistake and hard to reverse once that decision is made. Selling the Camry is really not in the cards at the moment. Might try a campground or two just to assure the future plan holds water. I could buy a jeep, but still trying to build up a safety net of funds to carry me through the winter.. There are probably much better ways to learn survival skills and several other countries (Austrailia, Costa Rica) that might be a better option, offering a more secure and longer term solution. For now I will try what is practical. Dropping out for three months is pretty radical and prepping towards that goal is what my venture here is all about. No one has unlimited funds. The good thing about working is, the disposable cash it provides will be put to good use. Some could survive with just a knife, a forrest and a stream. Perhaps I should sell or trade one of my road bikes and get a trail bike instead. That is an interesting thought.

Although I also have a really nice pop-up trailer that I pull behind my Gold Wing, complete with a dressing room, a fold out, Queen size bed and full size storage area that is accessible while you are inside the tent, this is not one of the options I am considering. (This model does have 21 cubic feet of storage space)

Kwik Camp Ventura Bel-Aire Model:

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=648633

Last edited:

eco-lite

Flatlander
Practicing my set-ups in the back yard on the week-ends. Leaning towards a hammock. Bought three backpacks to try out and that will take some weeks to compare. One has 3950 Cubic inches and has an external frame (Kelty Trekker), one is a smaller 3,000 Cubic inches (Explorer B99). One is a day packer (Urban style bag) As I have mentioned in my other posts , I have been testing several different tents (6 man Alaskian Guide tent is my favorite right now for a base camp), but have looked at the ultra light two man tents ($350.00 to $600.00 range).. Selling the house at this point might be a mistake and hard to reverse once that decision is made. Selling the Camry is really not in the cards at the moment. Might try a campground or two just to assure the future plan holds water. I could buy a jeep, but still trying to build up a safety net of funds to carry me through the winter.. There are probably much better ways to learn survival skills and several other countries (Austrailia, Costa Rica) that might be a better option, offering a more secure and longer term solution, but for now I will try what is practical. Dropping out for three months is pretty radical and prepping towards that goal is what my venture here is all about. No one has unlimited funds, but right now I am working and the disposible cash I have will be put to good use. Some could survive with just a knife, a forrest and a stream. Perhaps I should sell or trade one of my road bikes and get a trail bike instead. That is an interesting thought.

I also have a pop-up trailer that I pull behind my Gold Wing. Has a dressing room, a fold out, full size bed and full size storage area that is accessible while you are inside the tent. Pehaps I will set it up and do a review on it, but honestly, this tent is not one of the options I am considering.

ppine

Forester
Eco,
You need less stuff and more time out there. You need to acquire very few things.
Many people become obsessed by equipment choices because there is so much information out there. Stop practicing and cut the umbilical cord.

Pathfinder1

Eco,
You need less stuff and more time out there. You need to acquire very few things.
Many people become obsessed by equipment choices because there is so much information out there. Stop practicing and cut the umbilical cord.
Hi...

I know just what you mean. I'm in the process of relocating to another part of town, and have just started the 'getting my stuff together' routine. Lots of stuff that I haven't even used, although it was 'fun' collecting it...!!

Nessmuk (google if unknown) had the right idea regarding travelling light. Of course, the game laws (if any) were different then...!! You just can't shoot certain animals any time of the year for your dinner any more...!!

eco-lite

Flatlander
Eco,
ppine,
Working 60 hours a week, it is difficult to do much more than practice.
Cutting the umbilical cord then jumping might not be the best advice at this time.
In seven weeks the cord will be cut (Seems kind of soon for me, but perhaps you are right, I should immediately sell my house (Or give it away) and leave tomorrow.

The items I've asked about and have considered as an important buy are going to have to last me three months.. Perhaps ultimately you are right, all I need is my blanket and a prayer..

I honestly thought this site was for those that wanted and needed sound doctrine, but you make it seem like I have wasted valuable time on making a plan. I agree it was probably a waste of money to try out back packs to see what would be most practical and easiest to live with.

The answer I receive from you is basically "Stuff, who needs stuff?"

The idea of going Ultra Lite vs a nap sack and an open air outdoor adventure seems tempting.. Forget the ultralight and the water, just go plundering.

It seems funny to hear your advice when I see you are on the internet and I would venture to say you are sitting at home offering your helpful instructions..

In reality, I do appreciate and value your support and will look forward to enjoying my first real adventure. Let's see.. All I need is a decent sleeping bag, pad, and a tent that weighs less than 4 pounds.. Great! I can do this... Time to bug out..

One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.

Cutting the cord and jumping.. ppine, are you joining me? or are you going to pack a few items first?

Last edited:

Grandpa

Eco-lite, you came looking for advice, and we readily share our limited knowledge. For us that spend a lot of time outdoors and have spent time off the grid, our advice has been less about the destinations and equipment and more concerning your general plan. I certainly don't want to mock your plans but we hear all the time about people who go into the woods with the idea of going off the grid and never come back out. What I and Ppine are suggesting is EASE into your plan. Try a couple weeks off the grid before you leap out of your comfort zone. What you are planning involves a lot more than which backpack or tent to take. Grab some stuff and go for a long walk. You'll know in a hurry what works and what don't. (Most forests have a 1-2 week maximum stay so you will have to keep moving.)

Take a cue from Dustin Self, Chris McCandles, Jonathan Croom, and Eric Robinson. There are literally dozens of these people who HAD your dream.

But, you wanted some specific info so here we go.
"Please expand upon this. What advice would you give? Finding a place to park my car without drawing attention, yet still having access to the contents when needed, is one of my concerns. "
At least in my corner of the world, trail heads have a sign in box stating your name, day in and day out etc. Remote trailheads are relatively safe to leave your car for extended periods of time. A stop at the area ranger station, letting them know your plans and vehicle ID means they will keep an eye on your vehicle without sending out the search parties if you don't return after a week or so.

What are your plans for food for an extended stay? I can carry up to 10 days using freeze dried and dehydrated stuff but more than that gets real heavy. Remember the old adage. "Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he might not eat for a week." In other words, hunting and fishing to survive are not reliable and in most cases illegal.

A twig burning packable wood stove would be better for extended stays than a petro burning stove unless you are going above tree line or into the desert. In this day and age a stove is a must because so many areas have open fire restrictions. Cooking over a campfire is fast becoming a thing of the past.

Keep a detailed journal. In the event you survive, you may be able to write a book for the means to get back into the rat race. I, for one would love to hear about your experiences.

ppine

Forester
Eco-Lite,
I mean no disrespect. I sense that you are doing some hand wringing in preparation for your trip. Start out slowly with some short trips near home. Figure out what you need to add as you go. Once you stop working for awhile you will suddenly have nothing but time.

Rent your house. Think about consolidating some of your other stuff. Do not let your stuff control you.

ppine

Forester
Eco-Lite,
I mean no disrespect. I sense that you are doing some hand wringing in preparation for your trip. Start out slowly with some short trips near home. Figure out what you need to add as you go. Once you stop working for awhile you will suddenly have nothing but time.

I have been camping for more than 60 years, backpacking for 50 years, and had an outdoor career. Nature is my religion. I am now retired and go outside everyday. More equipment is not the answer. As others have so eloquently explained. Some of the best trips are with an Army blanket and a blue tarp in a beautiful place with the right people.

Rent your house. Think about consolidating some of your other stuff. Do not let your stuff control you.

eco-lite

Flatlander
Grandpa, ppine,
I bow to your combined experience and knowledge.
There are things I know and things I do not know.
Being aware that my survival skills are lacking, this looked like the logical place to find answers.

ppine; Perhaps I misread the part about cutting the cord and jumping and assumed you were wanting to see me plummet instead of summit.

Now that I understand your level of experience and knowing mine, I will find a more suitable forum that meets the needs of the novice back-packer. I have no intention of dangling from a mountian. No visions of joining a Louis and Clark expedition. I would only like to survive. Urban living is easy and you have to admit it is really nice to have a home. The forrest requires fundamental skills and a plan.

To think it is an easy transformation to go from 2014 back to the 1800's is foolish.
Soon enough I may learn my skills or at worst, I will lose them in an instant. There is a double life to all of us. Very few in the USA have ditched all technology and few are totally self sufficient. If you have had to buy a gallon of gas this year, you pretty much have not found that level.

I do hope to be around to tell you about an adventure or two. Much better than stumbling upon it on some internet blog or daily news blip.

As I have mentioned before, years ago I would tent for weeks at a time.
Even handled snakes and porcupines.
Cut off the tip of my finger (3/4 inch) 2 miles from the nearest road.
Been shot through the chest and out the back with a 38 (Urban life, not out in the woods).
But, perhaps my desire to enter the great outdoors is a lofty dream that only the most modern woodsman should try to endure.. Again, I came here to get advice and encouragement. In six weeks I will venture across the Alabama line and head north east. Decided to take one of my smaller Motorcycles (Rebel 250) and find a few places to camp. (perhaps even a camp ground or two). There are small towns to visit and nice little restaurants that will appreciate a 20% tip from the crazy old man sporting a beard and a back pack.

ppine, just read your response above (you must have snuck in while I was typing) Thank you for the kind words and encouragement!

Look forward to the adventures...