Old Town Canadienne in Kevlar

ppine

Forester
I need another canoe like I need more yard work, but this was too good to pass up. A 1989 OT a model designed by Ralph Frese and no longer made. I have the smaller one which is 15'10". It is modeled after the boats from Peterborough, Ontario. I met Ralph once in Chicago at the Chicagoland Canoe Base. The boat has very sheer entry lines and is only 32 inches at the beam. One of the fastest canoes ever made. I plan to use it as a solo boat for overnight river trips with just me and the dog.

The reviews for this boat are all 5s. People describe the experience of paddling one. "No one has ever passed me on a river."

This boat is crunched in the bow. I have refinished the ash thwarts and seats, cut out the bad kevlar and awaiting repair materials. It will be back together soon. I paid $250 for this boat and am already having a lot of fun with it.

Cappy

First thing it is great to see ya ole friend thanks for stopping by for a visit. Secondly, sounds like a great lil boat good luck with it.

ppine

Forester
Nice to hear your sage words of advice and encouragement Cap.
You are one of the guys I miss around here.

Roybrew

I hate to sound ignorant, but what does the OT stand for? You can never have to many canoes.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

ppine

Forester
Old Town Canadienne, the kind of words that used to really mean something.
I have applied s glass and epoxy in three spots. Today after grinding, I added a layer of epoxy with fairing compound. It should be pretty smooth soon. Next some spray paint and a test paddle.

Cappy

I know nothing about Kevlar as far as working with it. Is it like fiberglass with material and rosen ? Or are you patching it with fiber glass. Many years ago I jumped to aluminum and am way behind the time

ppine

Forester
Hi Cappy. Kevlar looks like gold colored fiberglass. The interior of the boat is a beautiful gold color. Grinding out the crunched spots the kevlar tends to turn to fuzz. It is repaired with fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin. Today I am painting the boat green.
Last week I took her out for a test paddle at Washoe Lake, NV at the beach where John Wayne took Lauren Becaull in the movie
The Shootist. Just me and the dog in the shade of the cottonwoods. Mallard ducklings, white pelicans and the quiet. It is the fastest canoe I have ever paddled in almost 60 years. The boat continues to glide for a very long time. She has some rocker and is easy to turn. The beam is only 32 inches so it is easy to reach the water even from amidships. The boat has an arched bottom for speed. She is a little tender at first (tippy) but has excellent secondary stability. I can hardly wait to load up some camping gear and try an overnight paddle. Maybe the Sacramento River this fall when the salmon are running.

Cappy

Thanks for the info and I am thrilled to hear the fix went well. I have worked with fiber glass a good bit and am familiar with the itchy process.

ppine

Forester
You betchya. I built fiberglass sailboats up in Washington in a factory. It took all weekend to get rid of the stuff, and then I was back in it. I gave up after a few months. I have repaired a lot of canoes since and made money on all of them.

The main hazard with repair work is sanding dust which you do not want to breathe. Wear a mask and work outside if you can.

Cappy

Try fiberglassing the inner floor of a metal 10k bbl tank down here in the summer. That includes cleaning blasting priming floating in the glass etc like ya say you know it I spent a couple summers working my way through college doing that. Man was I happy to get a job on a boat for the summer. Work just as hard but at least you out in fresh air and breeze

ppine

Forester
Hearing about breathing the dust and polyester resin fumes in a closed space gives me chills.
We used to wash our hands in acetone a couple of times per hour.

Roybrew

That sure is a pretty boat Dancer.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk