Outdoor Plates and Bowl recommendations?

Would a '2-in-1' plate-bowl / a bowl that collapses flat for storage be useful ?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Isaac1234567

Hi Guys,

I was wondering what food serving items you buy when you go outdoors. What do you like about it / don't like.

I was considering making myself this plate that turns in to a bowl and vice versa. Or a bowl that collapses flat for storage and was wondering if this would be practical.

Thanks in advance,

Northern Dancer

I have more than one "mess kit" and "utensils kit" based on what I will be doing. When I'm canoeing I take a different set of instruments because I'm looking for portability and lightweight items. Your idea of a bowl plate combination might be well received [like other pieces of equipment] that people like me look for.

You might want to take a isle tour of the big outdoor stores and see what they have on the shelf similar to what you are talking about.

Roybrew

I use these old plastic plates we had had when I was a kid. Yep these things are over 50 years old.s-l400.jpg I should up grade but I can't think of anything better. Oh yes I do have the pink one also. It's all up to you. May I suggest that you should be cautious if other guys see a pink plate in your camping kit. It doesn't go over well.

Northern Dancer

I remember the "pink plate" or the old Melmac dishes that were a standard at camp. We had the cups, bowls, and plates - always a complete set. Melmac - A brand name of dinnerware molded from melamine resin, made by American Cyanamid, most popular in the 1940s through the 1960s.

Roybrew

Yep. Exactly that's what they are Melmac. I use antique dinner ware for camping. Maybe I need to upgrade. One item I'm considering is the titanium spork.

Northern Dancer

I looked at the titanium [and other products too] but didn't buy it. Only because I have a habit of losing utensils and thus the cost is inhibitive for me. When I'm at base camp I usually use a tin plate and bowl and when I'm tripping I use a standard plastic set that's lighter. The set, with utensils that include a spoon [soup & coffee] fork, knife, small steak knife, fold-down roasting stick, are wrapped in a canvas bag and the whole set is in a mesh bag.

3070 Roughing it in style.

Thomas H

Bibsoutdoors
Isaac,
We enjoy using enameled pie plates. They hold a good deal of food and with the steep sides, spilling is reduced greatly. Sometimes it's just difficult to eat off a normal plate without spilling, things never seem to be level. You may wish to consider this little hack.

Attachments