Perseid Meteor Shower

RingTwist

Are you going to check out the Perseid meteor shower this weekend? It's supposed to peak on the early morning hours of the 12th. I'll probably check it out; I love meteor showers but hate getting up for them. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Cappy

One of the joys of being a cappy is being out away from lights and seeing lots of falling stars. There are lots more than most folks realize, ya just don't see em cause of lights. When out crossing bays I seldom drive a 6 hr watch with out seeing 1 or more. I am only looking through a window and don't have a large angle of visibility. I love seeing them and always feel a little rush when I do. Another fun thing is right at dusk and dawn watching the satelites slowly mosy across the sky.

JeepThrills

I have read that this meteor shower is going to be really good. I think you are suppose to be able to see about a 100 per hour. I found I usually do better if I stay up late to watch them. I tend to ignore alarm clocks that go off in the middle of the night!

campclose

I did not know about it! I am going to try to watch them. I will be camping this weekend so it will be easy to get up. I hope the kids get up too. I've never seen a meteor shower before.

RingTwist

One of the joys of being a cappy is being out away from lights and seeing lots of falling stars. There are lots more than most folks realize, ya just don't see em cause of lights. When out crossing bays I seldom drive a 6 hr watch with out seeing 1 or more. I am only looking through a window and don't have a large angle of visibility. I love seeing them and always feel a little rush when I do. Another fun thing is right at dusk and dawn watching the satelites slowly mosy across the sky.
That's true; there are generally a few meteors every single night. Showers are better for most people since they reward patience more quickly. :tinysmile_tongue_t: Satellites are fun to watch too. I always look out for the space station in particular when I know it's going to be overhead.

MountainHomeCamper

Went up to the Blue Ridge Parkway early this morning (from about 1:00 AM until dawn) and it was incredible! I even managed to capture one with my Nikon that was streaking away from the moon. So glad we stayed up for it.

JeepThrills

I saw about 10. One of them was really spectacular. It was like a bright fireball with a long tail. It would have made a nice picture, but I don't have the right lens for those kind of shots.

Boboque

We sat out for a long time watching. Spectacular event and I wouldn't have wanted to miss it. We live out in the boonies and don't have light pollution so we got quite a show last night. Wonderful time, got the kids to talking and caught up with their thinking too.

Waynefire

This was a great shower. Everyone in my family seen at least one of them shooting in the sky. That was really great and a nice thing to share with my son who is only six so he had never seen the showers like this before.

shaun

I love a good star gazing session when the sky is clear. It is like a form of meditation for me, it makes me feel relaxed and helps me put things into perspective. I did see the Perseid Meteor shower, it was amazing!

TroyS

My kids and I enjoyed the night. We tried to take some videos or photos, but the lenses of my camera couldn't capture it. It was just too far for it. :(