Planning Great Trips

Dana

I wanted to share a fun website that has compiled a ton of great reminders about planning and prepared for a great time.
Information to assist in preparing for the best camping trip ever!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reed

I think there's a blonde that wants to buy that site. :tinysmile_hmm_t: The domain is now for sale friend. There are a lot of good links though.

ppine

Forester
One of my favorite topics. I have been organizing trips since high school which was over 50 years ago.
I always plan my next trip while on a trip, so there is always one to look forward to.
Short list.
1. Find people that are compatible.
2. Make sure your trip fits the experience level of your crew.
3. Be mindful of the seasons and all of their advantages and disadvantages.
4. Make sure people have the right equipment.

Northern Dancer

One of my favorite topics. I have been organizing trips since high school which was over 50 years ago.
I always plan my next trip while on a trip, so there is always one to look forward to.
Short list.
1. Find people that are compatible.
2. Make sure your trip fits the experience level of your crew.
3. Be mindful of the seasons and all of their advantages and disadvantages.
4. Make sure people have the right equipment.
=====> Profoundly simple, but oh so very true.

I never took a group on a trip without having a mandatory workshop. If you missed it - sorry, you didn't get to go on the trip. Included were all the latest things that we wanted you to be aware of or trained in. But more especially we wanted to observe first hand your behaviours. We wanted to know how well you work with others, how you manage stress, and how you relate to the whole group, and if you could be independently responsible. We could tolerate the lack of skills and know-how - but if you are not able to manage your behaviour the chances of you coming were almost impossible.

What do you think "Pine", are we too tough?

I would be interested in seeing your long list. :Cool:

ppine

Forester
ND,
A workshop is a good idea. I usually just make sure I day paddle first with anyone I invite on a longer trip. People tend to over state their experience level. A half hour watching them paddle tells the story.

Evaluating personalities and trying to figure compatible paddling partners is the wild card. It is not that easy to assess. I have lost one friendship because of paddling, and messed up a few others, that mostly got repaired later after the trips.

My friends are getting older. People are vulnerable on a canoe trip. They are out of their element to some extent. They can have various kinds of melt downs and get overwhelmed. I am no longer interested in bigger groups. I only paddle and row with a few trusted friends and dogs now. My dog and my brother are my two best paddle pals.

PS I have no long list.

Northern Dancer

I hear the wisdom. I usually canoe with one partner now and sometimes with a small group of two other canoes. I don't have the energy to compensate or deal with issues that I've long resolved. Our workshops were weekenders. We tested [once again] swimming abilities with all clothing on. Checked out the paddle skills. It was our custom to change partners frequently. The idea was to prevent click groups. It worked out well and what was great? On each trip, we all improved significantly and our skill level was enhanced.

I Luv the life.

ppine

Forester
Now we are planning a 2022 commercial trip down the Grand Canyon.
It costs a lot, but someone else can do the planning and most of the work.

Northern Dancer

Now we are planning a 2022 commercial trip down the Grand Canyon.
It costs a lot, but someone else can do the planning and most of the work.
====> I'm a step ahead of you - we are planned - we just have to book [for the July trips] on March 1st. I think this is the most laid-back planning session we have ever had. We are taking last year's equipment lists, menu plans, and places we have been and just doing it. It will all depend on any shutdowns. Right now is a bit grim. The place where I work is now in "shutdown", or as the Residents say, "locked up". We haven't had any deaths attributed to Covid but we have come very close.

My personal regards to you sir, at the beginning of this New Year. Whatever you can, do it, and enjoy it. :Smile2: