Portable power bank?

Denicreg

I am gearing up for some multi day backpacking trips including the Cape Wrath Trail and I am trying to sort out the best Solar power bank. I will take an iPhone for messaging and reading iBooks and a satmap gps.
Thanks for any help

Northern Dancer

Hi there. That could be a difficult question because there are so many choices today. "Best" isn't always the answer. What is needed, as you already described, is the reason for the device, iPhone, reading, and satmap gps. My recommendation is you check out Amazon or a similar outlet to get some ideas. I always tell people to buy when on sale. It doesn't hurt to check out independent customer reviews and get their feedback. Personally. I take a phone with me for emergencies only. I realize there may not be any reception in the area that I'm in. Not much for devices on canoe trips but do enjoy some at a base camp. I use Goal 0 in camp to watch videos and power my light supply.

neboscott

We went to the beach for the weekend and I am so glad I remembered to throw this BEARTWO in my bag. Every day we would spend all day at the beach and I didn't have to worry about charging my phone because I had this! I just set it in the sun, plugged in my phone to it and turned it on.

Northern Dancer

3735 3736 3737

The reality is there are a number of possibilities. You need to know what it is you want it for.

When I'm canoe camping I don't want a lot of devices - if I need all that stuff the best thing is to stay at home. I do like to take a phone with me understanding there may not be any reception.

Understand your needs. Do you really need it? For what? Set your budget. Explore every possibility. Check out the consumer guides. Buy on sale.

Do you really need it?

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
Do I need it? ... not really.
Do I appreciate fuel/local pollution free, adequate electric lighting in the tent and using a smallish bug zapper for 15 minutes (instead of noxious chemicals, that are breathed all night), to clear the tiny vampires before crawling into the bag;
Yes! (BTW, I Jeep camp).

For short trips, I typically bring a, relatively, inexpensive DIY power center; 50 AH LiFePo4 battery with a small 80 watt inverter; to run/ charge things.
3738 Early pic; before installing the power wires.

When I was backpacking I brought a USB power bank to recharge the phone (which has a bunch of tunes and e-books) and a small blue tooth speaker (to play the tunes).

Normally, I do not bring solar panels (they are a pain to baby sit/keep in direct sunlight); or a generator.

Starting with a fully charged battery, from home and by using a bit of conservation ; the 50 AH will last a week supplying my normal camping power usage.

Enjoy!

Roybrew

I bought a small power pack that I take when I go camping. It'll keep my cell phone going for several days.IMG_20221119_211320974_HDR.jpg It days it'll jump a vehicle off, eh don't know. It's light and packs easily in all my other stuff, but I don't back pack camp. All my camping is either boat or vehicle.

The Great Outdoors