Scaly Wildlife

Newanderthal

Recent day hike offered some good shots of wildlife in North Carolina.

Found a 5-6 foot Black Rat Snake (non-venomous rodent-eater)...

...an Eastern King Snake (non-venomous, eats snakes, lizards, rodents)...

...and a Fence Lizard.

Also found a patch of wild rice, but it's nowhere close to time to pick... I'll go back later in the year.

Mudslide

Great pics. Im one of those guys that gets upset when I see someone killing a non venomous snake, and the poisonous variety as long as I see em first they dont bother me at all.

cabinfever

I have to admit, I'm not much for snakes. I'm not sure why, but I even hated them when I was a kid. Lizards, on the other hand, can be pretty cool. Were you able to get as close to these creatures as it appears or do you have a good zoom on your camera?

bsmit212

I have no problem with snakes when I know they are there. It is they ones like the black runners that look like a stick or root in the trail till you are about to step on them, that is the only thing I don't like about them. But once I am aware of it just simpley go around and let everything go about its business.

WideOpenSpace

Ooh, those pictures make me feel a bit shuddery...I'm hopeless with anything that isn't furry with four legs - reptiles, insects etc. I can't see me ever spending any time in the Australian Outback - there's way too many things there that want to kill me! :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Newanderthal

The closest I was able to get to the black rat snake was about six or seven feet... getting closer would have involved falling off a rocky bluff an bouncing into the lake

I could have touched the king snake

The lizard was a few feet away. Any closer and he would have bolted.